🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Do you Christmas tip the building concierge/security/doorman for your block of flats?

Options
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could please give me advice on whether we should tip the concierges for our building at Christmas and if so how much? It's a block of about 150 apartments on the edge of London (rent 1000-1500 pcm) and they have a desk by the main entrance so we see them everyday. They deal with our mail, take in our parcels and let workmen and visitors into our flat and also act as the security for the block. There are two main day ones and two night ones.

I know that in the US you should tip but in the UK I don't think this style of building is very common so there doesn't seem to be much information out there online.

They are really helpful so I'd like to tip but am not sure what's usual and whether we should tip them as a group or an envelope each.

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Heb

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    They are vital to you and as you say they are really helpful. I would put at least £10 in an envelope or £20 if I could afford it
  • scaredy_cat
    scaredy_cat Posts: 7,758 Forumite
    Options
    perhaps buy them some really nice wine as well? Something which has had a bit of thought can meany more than £50 in an envelope.
    Cats don't have owners - they have staff!! :D:p
    DFW Long Hauler Supporter No 150

• quinechinoise
    Options
    I think a "Christmas box" is perfectly appropriate. If you'd give to the milkman, postie, etc, then why not the concierge? Someone who provides a daily service that you rely on year-round. Tbh, I think I'd treat them as a group - it seems a bit too personal to think of them individually unless you also know them as acquaintances. It's not like people routinely hand out individual Christmas boxes to all the binmen/scaffies.
  • Andy7856
    Andy7856 Posts: 248 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    personally i would not give them cash, their employer may well frown on it (bribes, etc), so they feel they have to refuse it, and will go to them all? I would be more likley offer them a small gesture such as a box of chocolates for them to eat when on duty... with a card "Merry Christmas from Flat no XX".

Simple and not over the top.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family