Hanco ATM Machines - Beware! close shave!

Options
Hi all,

Last week I gave my brother my cashcard and asked him to draw some money out for me why he was out. He went to a local shop and tried to use the ATM machine in there and was told that he would be charged £1.50 for the transaction so he declined and the card was returned to him with no cash.

He then went to another ATM machine at the local Tesco and withdrew the amount required. When I checked my bank balance this morning online I noticed that I had been debited £31.50 from my account and then refunded later.

The point is I hardly had any cash in the account so if they had taken the money and I had gone overdrawn I would have been liable for bank charges. Luckily I had enough in there to avoid going overdrawn.

Has anyone else had this before?

Surely it isnt legal if you refuse a transaction for them to debit the amount and then refund you?
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 297 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D

Comments

• tomterm8
    tomterm8 Posts: 5,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Crown wrote: »
    Hi all,

Last week I gave my brother my cashcard and asked him to draw some money out for me why he was out. He went to a local shop and tried to use the ATM machine in there and was told that he would be charged £1.50 for the transaction so he declined and the card was returned to him with no cash.

He then went to another ATM machine at the local Tesco and withdrew the amount required. When I checked my bank balance this morning online I noticed that I had been debited £31.50 from my account and then refunded later.

The point is I hardly had any cash in the account so if they had taken the money and I had gone overdrawn I would have been liable for bank charges. Luckily I had enough in there to avoid going overdrawn.

Has anyone else had this before?

Surely it isnt legal if you refuse a transaction for them to debit the amount and then refund you?

It's a somewhat grey area, but it would be black & white if the bank tried to charge you for going overdrawn. You refused the transaction and so should not be liable for going overdrawn. You'd be entitled to start a small claim if they didn't refund the charge.
    “The ideas of debtor and creditor as to what constitutes a good time never coincide.”
    ― P.G. Wodehouse, Love Among the Chickens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport