Tax relief on Work Uniforms but not School Clothes... grrrrrr

I find it laughable that you can get tax relief on work uniforms but us parents with children who have very tall children from a young age get nothing!! Sorry jut had to vent!


  • timbo58
    timbo58 Forumite Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Thought Kids clothes were VAT free anyway?
    I see your point if they are in adult sized clothing though!

    Don't see a way out of it really?
    Unless specifically stated all posts by me are my own considered opinion.
    If you don't like my opinion feel free to respond with your own.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Forumite Posts: 4,570
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    All three of my sons have gone into adult sized trousers from about 13 years of age, and while one is 'husky', the other two are normal sizes. The cheapest trosuers I've been able to find were about £10 a pair (but they didn't last).

    I suppose it is one argument FOR a dedicated school uniform as dictated by the school - at least then all sizes have to be VAT free.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • janiebquick
    janiebquick Forumite Posts: 432
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    It's annoying, but that's how it is. VAT actually starts to bite on any children's clothes for age 14 and up. Apparently, this is so that small adults don't miss out on an opportunity to pay VAT.
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
  • tescobabe69
    tescobabe69 Posts: 7,504 Forumite
    When you can get tax relief for tools and specialist clothing

    As a general rule an employee can't get tax relief for the cost of clothing they wear to work - but there are some exceptions. For example, if you work in a sector like the building trade or the metal working industry you'll have to wear protective clothing like:
    • overalls
    • gloves
    • boots
    • helmets
    If you must pay for the cost of repairing, cleaning or replacing this type of specialist clothing yourself and your employer doesn't reimburse you, then you are entitled to tax relief. However, you cannot claim for the initial cost of buying this clothing.
    You are also entitled to tax relief if you have to buy - out of your own money - the tools you need to be able to do your work. For example, if you're a hairdresser your employer might require you to provide your own scissors. The tax relief also applies to the cost of maintaining and replacing the tools.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Forumite Posts: 38,756
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    the tax relief is only about £12 a year anyway.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards