Help with presents for children's school friends

Options
My daughters are 11 (year 7) and 14 (year 9) and they've come to me this evening with a list of friends they want to buy presents for. In my head I'd already set a budget of £20 per daughter, and I really can't afford any more, but the trouble is is, the younger one wants to buy for 10 (well, 11, but one is her class Secret Santa and I'm happy to swallow to cost), and the older one 7.

Is it possible to buy something nice with such a small budget,and does anyone have any ideas?

11 year old is not particularly grown up and neither are her friends so make up type gifts aren't really suitable. The older one can't buy anyone lip balms as one friend has already given her presents out and has bought a nice set for everyone.

It looks as though Superdrug has some nice things that would have been ideal but they're all out of stock online. I will be going into town on Sunday, we don't have any shops like BM Bargains but do have a Poundland and Primark.

HELP!!!

Comments

• SUESMITH_2
    SUESMITH_2 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    Options
    have you a home bargains? they have some good offers. i did poundland, poundworld and the 99p shop at the weekend and there were some nice things in them. good luck!
    'We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time
  • Emmarillo
    Options
    No Home Bargains or Poundworld unfortunately (I just read about them on here and wish!). I will definitely be checking out Poundland, and I was thinking about gloves or socks from Primark too. I'll be haunting the Boots sale in January to be prepared for next year.

The most annoying thing, that I didn't put in my first post is that they don't want to get everyone the same, but they may have to!
  • Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    My dd makes these for her friends. they only cost about £1 - £1.50 each, after you have bought the mould (99p store)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=56821995&postcount=7089

Don't melt all the chocolate. Mix the last bit in and it will melt in the heat.
  • fawd1
    fawd1 Posts: 715 Forumite
    Options
    Just saw a similar thing on Lorraine Pascale yesterday and she didn't even use moulds, just lined a baking tray and did a big batch that she broke off into chunks and put into clear bags. I think they look awesome personally and wouldn't cost the earth, but look really smart. Print some great tags off from somewhere like the graphics fairy website and you're done. I've even made some today for adults, using glace cherries, macadamia nuts and bitter and white chocolate. Looks great.

Like this, just use cheaper ingredients for toppings.http://annieshomemadeheaven.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/yummy-chocolate-slab.html
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    Next year make sure they save up their pocket money! They need to learn to budget for these things rather than relying on the bank of mum at the last minute :)

In the meantime....don't they have any suggestions what their friends would like?
  • Emmarillo
    Options
    On My Own - that looks amazing! I would be very very happy to receive one of these. That is a definite thought, thank you :).
  • Emmarillo
    Options
    They have no ideas at all Daisiegg, that's what's so frustrating. My older daughter, who you'd think would have a fair idea that we're not living like kings, suggested a £10-£15 budget PER FRIEND! They know we're having a pared down Christmas this year, and I did suggest to both children a while ago that they did a secret santa among their friendship groups with just one £20 gift to buy. You could get something amazing for £20, but I think it fell on deaf ears.
  • boiler_man
    Options
    Look out for Revlon nail varnishes, Rimmel lip glosses, glass nail files, DVDs, books, scarves, microfibre hair towels/turbans and many other goodies in Poundland. Some items look better repackaged.

Also look out for deals on boxes of chocolates in the supermarkets.

Good luck.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    edited 14 December 2012 at 12:18AM
    Options
    Hot chocolate Rudolph - I saw them on the Internet but can't remember where. I've made some today and my Rainbows and Brownies are making them tomorrow.

Put two decent scoops of hot chocolate into a cellophane cone. Add some mini marshmallows on top, then some mini chocolate chips. Fasten a sparkly pipecleaners round the top. Glue googly eyes halfway down, and a red pompon nose on the tip.

They look really good and most teens that I know enjoy hoy chocolate.

I've found the link with a photo. It's http://www.cutefoodforkids.com/2011/12/37-edible-reindeer-crafts.html
  • cazpumpkin
    Options
    i agre with the other posters about baking something instead of buying things. My daughter came home recently to tell me the other girls in year 11 were clubbing together to get another girl a pandora bracelet, none of my business I know but i still felt it was ridiculous, even the school said there was nothing they could do. What is the point of having secret santas if half the class still insist on buying and swapping gifts. They do want to swap gifts so making things is definitely the answer to keep the costs down.

My solution over the years has to be to start a present box which is kicked under the bed all year round, I fill it up over the year with smellies or special offers and 8 for a £1 gift bags from the card factory, come xmas i give her the box and the bags and let her divvy it up amongst her friends.

This year its been filled mostly with the I love range which was in poundland a few months back and is still stocked in superdrug at £2 each, she puts 2 items in each bag and does usually about up to ten people , I hope to not go over £20 each year, I try not spend more than a fiver on schoolfriends birthdays either, I dont want to be mean but there are 30 girls in the class and she isnt my only child.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure