MSE News: Firms ‘should be clearer on regular card payments’

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Firms ‘should be clearer on regular card payments’

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
2 replies 1.4K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
"Traders may not be making it clear to consumers that they're being signed up to a Continuous Payment Authority..."

Replies

• Credit card company told me this morning that I must contact the insurance company !!!
  • I have had problems with CPAs, now I wouldn't go near them. It does seem that however "reputable" the company is, they mysteriously never act on your first request. It will take many attempts and time to sort it.

I first heard that the banks can cancel a CPA via Radio 4's Money Box programme. When I told First Direct that they can cancel a CPA and I quoted Money Box, they just said, oh we get a lot of trouble from them; we can't. I said, well I will close my account then they can't take any more; they said I would still have to pay the company. Why is such a reputable bank as First Direct unaware of the law?

My most recent encounter was with Skype. I cancelled a subscription and it was ignored. Then I had a chat online with a rep and I was assured that no more money would be taken. It is still being taken.

From my experience with many companies it is not worth the hassle to go into these arrangements
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support