MSE News: Northern Rock pays £270m to 150,000 after gaffe

Options

Comments

• mhmmhm
    mhmmhm Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Called up this morning to make my regular overpayment - looks like my balance has been reduced by just over £2k - which I think is just the interest payments; rather than receiving 'interest on the interest'. Will see what happens when the statement comes through...
  • cot1198
    cot1198 Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    mhmmhm wrote: »
    Called up this morning to make my regular overpayment - looks like my balance has been reduced by just over £2k - which I think is just the interest payments; rather than receiving 'interest on the interest'. Will see what happens when the statement comes through...

Thanks for letting us know.

I wonder if the people who have not had their balance reduced(like me) are the ones who have complained about the redress method(like me)?
  • mhmmhm
    mhmmhm Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    cot1198 wrote: »
    Thanks for letting us know.

I wonder if the people who have not had their balance reduced(like me) are the ones who have complained about the redress method(like me)?

Could be - I hadn't complained about the redress method as, for me, applying it to the balance is the best result (i.e. what I would do anyway if they had decided to send me a cheque!)
  • dsw8
    dsw8 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    shredder91 wrote: »
    your situation is very similar to mine, altho my loan was a bit higher, we made overpayments in that time but we also took a maternity break - so i imagine that evened itself out. If you got £5225, i would hope for something similar, which would be fantastic.

whichever way it comes, i dont mind - as i said earlier, if i could get the money in my hand i could do some home improvements - desperately need new fascias and guttering - or i knock 5 or 6 years off the mortgage term and i can retire earlier than anticipated :)

either way would be a win

I hope you get what you need. It will be interesting to see how the redress is broken down when the new paperwork arrives but I am happy with the bottom line figure as it stands.

Can I ask what is a maternity break as we have just had a baby and was not aware of such a thing?
  • fergalator
    Options
    I've called this morning to check mine, I've received £3,334 on an original loan of £22,500 taken in May '06 so now down to £16,621. Will be interested to see how that's worked out when paperwork arrives.
  • Thrifty_Pixie
    Thrifty_Pixie Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Options
    have any other 'ex customers' on here had any indication of refund? cheques forthcoming?

i understand that current customers are being dealt with first, but as an ex-customer myself i was wondering if any cheques had gone out yet too? anyone?
    Mortgage-Free Wannabe
    Mortgage at start [20/6/12]: £151,800/MFD Jun 2035 (age 65)
    Mortgage now [5/11/14]: £139,212.14/MFD Oct 2029 (age 59)
    Personal Library 2014
    :starmod: Read in 2014: 57/60 :starmod: In Progress: 2 :starmod: Books In: 94 :starmod: Books Out: 12 :starmod: TBR: 847 :starmod:
  • money_honey
    money_honey Posts: 257 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2013 at 2:03PM
    Options
    My husband phoned just now and ours has gone down by £3400 (we had a £15000 loan originally). Happy as we want to get all our debt paid off ASAP.
    DFW by end of June 2016...! LBM June 2011
    Debts start July 2011:
    [STRIKE]£53,846[/STRIKE] £31,716 (41%)
  • dsw8
    dsw8 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Just a thought...

As NRAM mission is to close down the mortgage book as quickly as possible and recoup the Gov money back to HM Treasury at the lowest risk here is a thought...

Wouldn't it be great if NRAM would come to the table with customers and agree a settlement figure through negotiation that would allow NRAM to recoup say 80-90% of what is owed.
    We the so called bad customers could then move away and nram achieves its mission albeit at a slightly reduced loss.

In effect customers could seek mortgages elsewhere if they were being offered a carrot. I for one would seriously consider negotiating if NRAM was prepared to deal...as it stands we will be partners for another 20 years otherwise, and that is something neither party wants
  • realdeal1011
    realdeal1011 Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    My husband phoned just now and ours has gone down by £3400 (we had a £15000 loan originally). Happy as we want to get all our debt paid off ASAP.

Strange that...I have a loan of £17k and only had roughly £2730 returned back?
  • money_honey
    money_honey Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    Strange that...I have a loan of £17k and only had roughly £2730 returned back?
    It may be because our loan was originally part of our mortgage at about 4.98% (I think), but when we sold our house in 2011 we still had the loan as the sale price wasn't high enough to cover it. The loan was then changed to a higher interest rate of 9.79% (still the same term) and as we've been paying all the interest up front that's how much they worked out we were owed, approx £3400.
    DFW by end of June 2016...! LBM June 2011
    Debts start July 2011:
    [STRIKE]£53,846[/STRIKE] £31,716 (41%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills