We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone have a relative with bipolar disorder?

Options

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Manic depression and clinical depression are totally different conditions, which is why it is essential for doctors to make the correct diagnosis.Somebody i know had a manic depressive mum, who had serious highs and ,lows resulting in 3 illegitimate children, being sectioned etc.Her son is also showing signs of extreme mania but his doctor only sees him during the lows so things he is clinically depressed and had prescribed seroxat which has a really bad rep, and has made him extremely aggressive.He tries to keep his mood down with alcohol, and this has resulted in him losing his marriage and home anhd getting seriuuosly in debt.He has now been placed in an alchohol rehab for 9 months.He thinks when he comes out he will be cured, but obviously the manic depression will still be there.
    I knopw it's very hard for doctors with time constraints etc, but prescribing seroxat to a known alcoholic was in my eyes very irresponsible:mad:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Eels100
    Eels100 Posts: 984 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your experiences and advice. A family member is in touch with her GP now, hopefully this will be the start of some sort of resolution for her.
  • JAHARVEY
    JAHARVEY Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Its good that your relative is going back to see her GP, but can I point out that a diagnosis for bipolar has to come from a psychiatrist so it may be worth her while asking for a referal to see one asap as the waiting lists can be quite lengthy.

Hope this helps

Julie
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,022 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am also Bi-Polar and it does take years to get diagnosed. Took over 20 years. I actually did my own research and diagnosed myself 5years before the doctors did by reading & reading (internet & books) lots and then quizing the psychiast about just about everything I was experiencing.It is good that you are wanting to learn more about this and this would greatly help you to support your sister. My DH is great and does not completely understand what I am going through but he is extremely supportive and is my main carer. Family members know very little about this but they do know that stress makes it worst.. they reaction is not very helpful and makes it worst by not supporting me and thinking that not giving me stresss is missing me out of family life up and downs.. when I only find out later what has been going along in the family and this only stresses me out more.Being BiPolar can be very positive (if you are into positive thinking like me) and they tend to be very creative in their expression and thinking. If you are able to manage your highs and lows through drugs and or lifestyel changes then it can be a lot better than first expected. The MDF is a good organisation to join as you get all the lasted info about the illness and also info about their support groups and resources.Steven Fry (BiPolar himself) did a really great program about this and there is still info about the topic on the bbc websight.. see below .. you can search for BiPolar on the bbc websight for other useful info soo..http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/tv_and_radio/secretlife_index.shtml
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
  • Hunnybunny_3
    Options
    The reason I have been on this site recently is because my husband was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder last month after he was Sectioned under the Mental Health Act. His current episode is Manic and guess what? That's when they do all their spending. My husband has also been sacked from a high paying job and our finances are now in a mess, we are having to sell our house etc.

All I can say is that you must keep on pushing the GP to send your sister to see a Psychiatrist. I had been begging for 5 years and it was only in February that our GP reluctantly agreed. However, this was too late and my husband had to be sectioned the same week as the letter got to the Hospital. Getting him there was a nightmare and keeping him there was a bigger problem. He stayed in hospital for 10 days, got out, refused to take his medication and carried on living in the Manic Phase, having spent £2000 in 2 weeks!

He is currently living with his father as I cannot cope with his violent rages, if left untreated this illness just gets worse. Please don't let up on your sister getting help. They will go on about patient confidentiality, human rights etc but there are ways and means that you can help. Try and see her Drs yourself, even the Psychiatrist if you have to. Once she is diagnosed you will still have to carry on with the grind like I am at the moment, which has had me contacting Credit Card Companies, the DVLA etc so I can try and save my husband from himself. I have also had lots of contact with anyone that will listen, the Hospital, the Local Mental Health Team etc. I have even been to Court 3 times to try and get further help. The Police have been to our house several times.

My husband is being assessed again tomorrow if he turns up to see the Psychiatrist - as he is in complete denial and his Dr says he lacks insight. Just a warning, when they are in the Manic state, they enjoy it so they don't want to believe that they are ill etc, this is why all GPs only see them when they are depressed and hence the diagnosis of a Major Depressive Illness is made, anti-depreessants are dished out and the Manic Episode emerges with all its force - NIGHTMARE!!! Good luck, if you need any further info then just ask.
  • Chickfactor_2
    Options
    I work in Child & Adolescent Mental health and we base large parts of our assessments on reports from families and schools, mainly cos children can't always verbalise their feelings/ thoughts/ frustrations. Someone should accompnay your sister to every appointment if possible. You have my full sympathy, I know what a difficult illness this can be for families and I really hope she gets the help that she needs.

Tell her not to be scared if the doctors want to give her anti-psychotic medication. One of my patients got relaly upset when told he needed anti-psychotics because he said that must make him a psycho. It's just a NAME, and some anti-p's are also used as painkillers etc!

Good luck and best wishes :)
    almost suicidal...! :eek:
  • Hunnybunny_3
    Options
    It's a fab idea to make sure someone goes with your sister to her appointments and I'm glad to hear that you guys dealing with Children's Mental Health involve families. However, what you might find (like we have) is that as your sister is 21, she will be treated by the Adult Mental Health Team and if she doesn't want any of you involved then you won't be! Sometimes some of the Psychiatrists don't involve you whatever and this is where you will have to try back-door methods in order to get your point across. I don't know what your sister is like but the problem we've had with my husband is the fact that he presents like there's nothing wrong and this is more common if they're vaguely bright CF All those successful celebraties out there who have suffered from are suffering from this condition. The medicine's can be awful but if you think that compliance is an issue then they can give long-acting injections instead.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Eels, if your sister is possibly bi-polar SSRI anti-depressantss can cause the highs. Someone in an earlier post mentioned lithium for BP but there are newer and better tolerated drugs for BP. If you feel your sister is a danger to herself, demonstrated by the self-harming, or to others then it would be a good idea to write to her GP along these lines. The GP should take it from there, and GPs usually resond to serious risk, but it can be a minefield for relatives who will not necessarily know the outcome of their letter.
    There's some good information on BP on the MIND website. HTH
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • samcantcope
    samcantcope Posts: 282 Forumite
    Options
    My mom also suffers from this, She only told me a few weeks ago, we know she was ill but just thought it was depression, we have had an awful time as I was growing up, sadly my mom thinks everyone is out to hurt/kill her, and now has no contact with my sisters as she feels they are trying to do her harm. I am not sure what drugs my mom is on as she doesnt want us to know. She lives alone and sees me once a week, she has a carer who sees her regular and believes every word she says. My mom has had this for about 40 years and I feel like I dont know her anymore. If anyone has any advice for me I am listening,
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sam, it sounds like you've had quite a shock. Have you thought about asking your GP if you can talk to a counsellor, many GP practics have a counsellor on their team, so you can start to sort out your thoughts and feelings about this ? Another option would be to contact your local social services and ask if there is a local support group for relatives. https://www.mdf.org.uk is the website for BP and has lots of information for relatives. HTH
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport