PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Freezing meats and making up meals and then refreezing help

Options
Hi

I could do with some advice please.

I have bought a few packs of chicken and mince to make up meals to freeze.
I am not going to start making them until the weekend and put the meats in the freezer now. Have I made a mistake doing that, will it be ok to defrost make up the meals, refreeze and then defrost and heat?

If I have made a mistake I can easily cook the meals on the day or for the next day and put in the fridge.

Thanks in advance for assistance.

FabDee

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi, I often buy meat fresh and freeze it and make up meals and then refreeze without any hitches.

As long as the meat is thoroughly cooked you shouldn't have any problems.

Tea
  • Alfietinker
    Alfietinker Posts: 562 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I read somebody say (might have been on here?) that if you take something out the freezer, you need to put it back in a different state. IE - if you take it out raw, it must go back in cooked.

So yes, you'd be fine. :)
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07 :j :j :j :D
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    If you freeze it raw, then defrost it, you need to cook it before you freeze it again.

So yes, you are ok to defrost it, bake/cook it up into meals and then freeze the cooked meals. You can then defrost those cooked meals and reheat them when you need them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business