Further advance Vs Equity release

coops82_2
coops82_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
edited 30 November 2012 at 6:07PM in Mortgages & endowments
If you have finished the fixed period of your mortgage and want to release some equity are you effectively signing up to a new mortgage by releasing some cash?. Is this called a 'further advance 'or equity release'

Has anyone had any experiences doing this?

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It depends on the lender.

As you've identified, some issue a further advance, normally at standard variable rate, others issue additional borrowing, based on a different rate. Others still want you to renegotiate a rate for the whole amount of the borrowing - existing and additional.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • coops82_2
    coops82_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    edited 30 November 2012 at 6:12PM
    kingstreet wrote: »
    It depends on the lender.

As you've identified, some issue a further advance, normally at standard variable rate, others issue additional borrowing, based on a different rate. Others still want you to renegotiate a rate for the whole amount of the borrowing - existing and additional.

So effectively your previously excellent deal has ended? Are the new rates negotiable?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    coops82 wrote: »
    Are the new rates negotiable?

Rates are what the lender has on offer. There's no negotiation.

You will be asked purpose of equity release. Do you require a sizable sum?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure