PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

potatoes & Leek

Options
Hi

i have potatoes and leeks what can i make for tea?

Thanks

Comments

• CarolnMalky
    CarolnMalky Posts: 14,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could make a nice pot of leek and potato soup...one of my favs :drool:
    If you obey all the rules...you miss all the fun!! Katherine Hepburn
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    leeks in white sauce over roast or jacket potatoes **** drooool***
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • kangamama
    kangamama Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    leek and potato bake? Par boil the potatoes (and any other root veg you have in.) Chuck them in an ovenproof dish with a little cheese sauce (or white sauce if you're out of cheese) and bake until the top is golden. Serve on it's own or with sausages or other meat if you have it.

We've had this twice in the last week, it's tasty
    Light bulb moment Feb 2014! Total debt then £17,497.64
    Current debt £8121.16.
    Expected debt free date Aug 2030 with current plan but I will beat that date, I had to adjust it due to a drop in wages :(
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    mrsleh wrote: »
    leek and potato bake? Par boil the potatoes (and any other root veg you have in.) Chuck them in an ovenproof dish with a little cheese sauce (or white sauce if you're out of cheese) and bake until the top is golden. Serve on it's own or with sausages or other meat if you have it.

We've had this twice in the last week, it's tasty

Can I add my own thanks to that, being in the same boat and also having some semi-retired carrots to use up ;) . That recipe sounds like the perfect solution.

Have you ever tried freezing it, and if so did it work okay? Only we won't really need it for a few days as we have lots of other stuff to use up :rolleyes: .
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• kangamama
    kangamama Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    Can I add my own thanks to that, being in the same boat and also having some semi-retired carrots to use up ;) . That recipe sounds like the perfect solution.

Have you ever tried freezing it, and if so did it work okay? Only we won't really need it for a few days as we have lots of other stuff to use up :rolleyes: .

Glad you like it :o I do freeze it, the sauce does sometimes split so I give it a good stir after it's defrosted and it's fine, just pop it back in the oven until it's piping hot. Yummy, but I can't have it again for a few weeks, can I?!
    Light bulb moment Feb 2014! Total debt then £17,497.64
    Current debt £8121.16.
    Expected debt free date Aug 2030 with current plan but I will beat that date, I had to adjust it due to a drop in wages :(
  • wurzelsar
    wurzelsar Posts: 15,316 Forumite
    Options
    A variation on an earlier suggestion.

Par boil the potatoes, microwave the chopped leeks . Slice the potatoes.
    If you have any ham, chop or grate it.

Layer the potatoes, ham and leeks and pour on a sauce ( or you could use Cambell's mushroom soup) and put a little grated cheese on top and bake in the oven till golden on top.
    I wish you......
    A sunbeam to warm you,
    A moonbeam to charm you,
    A sheltering angel, so nothing can harm you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure