Spill the beans... on your happiest childhood Christmas memory

Options

Comments

• greentechtown
    Options
    I love the Christmas eve, I enjoyed it lots with my friend do lots of fun.
  • weeclick
    weeclick Posts: 1,051 Forumite
    Options
    There are so many I could mention, my mum has been very ill since I was 3 and its been ongoing that she would be in and out of hospital for most of my childhood so they always went out of the way to make christmas extra special for us and it was always as if mum was cured if only it was for the day!

Anyway this one year we had went around the shops to do our family shopping as we always did, I was about 7 maybe 8 and remember looking at an electronic ride on jeep and thought wow but santa could never afford it (it were always told that santa had to buy the toys with his own money so we appreciated the value of stuff long before the dream of "santa" faded) so I never thought anything of it, we went about other shops buying sweets for grandma, bath sets for other relatives and went home to wrap them up.

On christmas morning as always our living room was covered in presents, it didnt matter what it was, even a box of malteasers would be wrapped! We spent hours opening presents, stopping every now and then to share in the excitment of the toy my brother and sister had just opened. The smell of turkey started making its way from the kitchen as we started getting black bags to tidy up the wrapping paper all over the floor and as a tradition we always had "the snowman" playing on the the tv while we opened presents. So to go from our living room to our kitchen you have to pass the front door and as we did we noticed 2 letters on the the doormat. one addressed to my brother the other addressed to me and my younger sister. We opened it and it was from santa and he had left us a riddle. It basically said something along the lines of not all toys can fit in our house and other toys are better suited in other places.....whatever way it was worded I caught on striaght away (the next bit is naughty I admit but keep in mind just how excited I was) I literally was jumping up and down screaming "he's got us an effing jeep, he got the effing jeep" continously for a good 5 mins, before mum said oh whats this? (very good at playing innocent) and without a word i grabbed the nearest shoes I could find and ran out into the garage where I noticed a big duvet in the middle of the floor, lift it off and there it was, my lovely shiny red jeep for me and my sister!

It wasnt so much the value of the gift I remember but the effort put in to it, santa leaving a letter, mum and dad keeping very cool giving nothing away even though that letter had sat there the whole time while we were in the living room and we hadnt noticed. I didnt care that I was in my pjs still I was striaght out on the jeep up and down the street. An hour later while mum was cooking lunch I managed to crash the beloved jeep into the back of my dads car and the front bumper crasher came off :eek: My dad laughed it off and said maybe I should get insurance before I start driving and that the jeep looked better without it anyway! I treasured the gift until I literally couldnt fit into it anymore (about 14!!) it had a tape player and a mini glove compartment and I used to charge my friends 50p to get a lift around the estate ;) lol.

On an adults level my best memory was actually boxing day around 5 years ago when my younger sister was heavily pregnant, it was a quiet affair that year, I had just moved home after living in England for 7 months and badly home sick, we spent the whole day enjoying our gifts, having a meal at our grandparents house and playing monopoly. my sister kept complaining of a sore back all night but thought nothing of it. At 7am the next morning I got a call to say she had gone into labour. That night at 10pm after sitting in the family waiting room all day my gorgeous niece was born and truly is to this day the very best christmas gift anyone has ever given me!
    Life is what you make it.
  • oliviacooper
    Options
    Lovely memories here - thank you :) My best memories were writing letters to Father Christmas and sending them up the chimney, and then running to the window to see if we could see them flying up to the North pole. We always had a big Christmas with all the cousins etc so sitting around the big table with all the grandparents wearing silly hats was lovely.

When we were older we started having champagne and smoked salmon on Christmas eve and just opening our immediate presents then, as Christmas day was so hectic. It's a tradition we've kept up and it's a lovely quiet celebratory time with immediate family before the chaos of the big day with all the fun for the kids.
  • t-rexcellent
    Options
    The stories on here are so lovely, thanks everyone for sharing - made me all warm and fuzzy inside :)

I always remember being taken to the cinema every Christmas eve - think my Mum wanted us out of the house for a while and get us thinking about something other than when Father Christmas would come! As we'd been treated to the cinema we'd then be as good as gold and off to bed - "the sooner you go to sleep the sooner it wil be Christmas!"

I'd always leave my snowman pillowcase (never a stocking!) out to find it filled just outside my door in the morning. We'd leave a mince pie and a glass of sherry out for Father Christmas and a carrot for Rudolph, alongside a thank you note to the man himself. My bedroom was downstairs at the foot of the stairs so my parents would make so much effort to be quiet and my Mum would leave crumbs from the mince pie, drink the sherry and even bite off the carrot, leaving teeth marks in the little bit left! She's then write a note back on the bottom of the letter in different handwriting saying thank you for the food :D

Ham and red cabbage for my Dad's traditional Dorset breakfast - I was always sceptical but love it now, Radio 2 on in the background and my Mum's presents beautifully wrapped and My Dad's in the cheap market paper with our names written in biro on it, not even a tag :rotfl:Those were always the best ones!

Merry Christmas everyone x
  • bagpuss38
    Options
    laineygirl wrote: »
    It was in the 50's and we were coming home from my Grandmas Christmas Eve party at about 2 a.m and it had snowed. Everything was magical and quiet.
    I was eight and my brother was four. My cousin, who was 10 had just told me Santa didn't exist.:( My father had heard him and had tried to assure me he still did but I was very upset
    We got to the top of our road and my dad picked me up and pointed to our roof.There was 2 track marks on the roof up to the chimney and the snow on the chimney pot had been dislodged.
    'Come on, we might just catch him' he shouted as we ran down the hill. ' 'Who' I asked.
    'Santa' he said.
    Well we got in the house and all our presents were around the tree, the sherry had been drunk, the mince pie eaten and the carrot for Rudolph had gone and there were wet puddles from the chimney to the tree which my dad said were his foot prints My brother was dumbstruck just staring and smiling his face was a picture and then we heard jingle bells fading away into the distance.
    'Quick you might just see him' as we rushed outside but we didn't, he'd gone.
    I found out later that my father:A had come all the way home instead of going to the pub with the rest of the men, got a ladder out and marked the tracks on the roof with the clothes pole, put out all our presents, marked out the footprints on the carpet and removed the sherry and mince pie. Whilst we were downstairs looking at the evidence my mum:A was hanging out of the window upstairs with a ring of bells shaking it to make it sound as though it was sleigh bells receding into the distance.
    Father Christmas did exist and it was magical that year because we had sleigh tracks on our roof and we'd heard the harness bells and Father Christmas had definitely been to our house. I was a believer for 1 more year:)
    Cheers:beer: Have a good one.

Oh that is so lovely, i'm sitting here in tears :)
    SIMPLY BE-££577.11:eek:
    Very BNPL - £353.00:o
  • AVASTLAD
    Options
    I come from a large family so having a Buckaroo for a Christmas present was the best gift ever! Our usual cost for a present then was about £5max.
    ou'll find it hard to buy a pack of batteries tis price nowadays.

Matt

xx
  • marisco_2
    marisco_2 Posts: 4,261 Forumite
    Options
    We lived in a very old house which backed onto woods. I remember waking up very early one christmas morning and it started snowing. I crept downstairs and turned on the lights on the christmas tree. Sat there for ages in the dark looking at the twinkly tree surrounded by masses of presents watching it snow. It came down really heavily.

When everyone woke up we had breakfast, opened all the pressies and then headed out for a long walk with our sledge. Had a magical morning bombing down a steep hill in the nearby park. Best present ever was snow on christmas day. Whenever I think back to that time it makes me smile :)
    The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own, no apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.
  • Moneysavingwebby
    Options
    I think I must have been about 8 and my sister 5, we always had to wait for my mum & step dad to wake up before going down stairs but for some reason this year we went down on our own.
    The front room floor was filled with Barbie stuff- it wasn't official Barbie but it was actually better it was kind of like a American department store all set up and each little counter had things for sale like hats and shoes. Then we had some proper Barbies to go with it.

It was amazing lovely set up and we never stopped playing with it.
    My sisters was actually ill with a stomach bug that year and I vaguely remember kindly opening all her presents for her I still get stick for it now!!!

Another year that sticks in my mind is the year we got loads!! Not sure why but one year we opened all our usual presents and then went into the back room where there was a computer sat on a brand new desk, it was Packard bell and I can remember thinking we must be rich!!
  • lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    Options
    Surprisingly enough I can't remember the presents,

The one christmas i remember is coming out of Midnight (which was actually at 10pm!) Mass and the snow just starting to fall as we walked out the door!
    This is my fondest Christmas memory - and think i was about 17 at the time!

Other things i remember is Santa writing HO HO HO on a big Santa picture i had painted at school - I thought I was so special!
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • r_sands
    r_sands Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I remember being 4years old and waking up to a world of presants at the bottom of my bed...awsome
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure