We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Wooden Plaque Shabby Chic

Options
I want to make a wooden plaque for my friend with writing on it....has anyone got any experience of making these and the best way to put the text on? other than freehand painting?

Thanks

Comments

• themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    I think maybe carved onto it? that would look rustic.
  • midnightraven3
    Options
    i make plaques, what about script transfers?
    or you can get vinyl lettering in small sizes, unsure what size you are looking for, that may not be suitable if you have a lot of writing on a small one

i freehand mine, have you tried? its easier than you may imagine
  • sethsgran
    sethsgran Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We do ours with vinyl lettering, we have just done one that is a fabulous quote from The Grinch, white and red vinyl on a lime green plaque.
    Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    You could print out the writing on the computer (use a script or signwriting style font), put some carbon paper underneath (or scribble with a pencil on the back) and trace the writing onto the plaque. That will give you an outline to follow.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • quinechinoise
    Options
    I made some wooden plaques that I just wrote on with a sharpie pen. I did practice writing on a bit of paper first but then I just wrote straight on to the plaques. Mistakes/wonky/dissimilar size letters actually look even more rustic/shabby chic! Be brave. ;)
  • sethsgran
    sethsgran Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/9275_479190548770920_1316839599_n.jpg?dl=1

Approx 8" square

Sorry this is so big. This is one we recently did. I paint she cuts etc. she has the talent not me.
    Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes
  • Nanamia
    Nanamia Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    That looks fab Sethsgran, I've not bumped into you for ages. Glad Rachel is still crafting. I love that quote, one of our posters has it as their signature :) xxx
    The secret of Christmas
    It's not the things you do at Christmastime
    But the Christmas things you do
    All year through

• nic2075
    nic2075 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I make plaques too and I usually just freehand write it with a sharpie.

As someone else said, vinyl lettering would be a good way if you didn't have the best writing. But it doesn't have to be perfect to add to the charm.

I would use a brownish acrylic paint as an undercoat. Then paint over with white, cream or duck egg blue etc. once it has dried you can then take some sandpaper and distress the edges for a really good look. Sharpies write great over acrylic paint.
    :santa2::xmastree::santa2:
  • Rags2Riches_3
    Options
    I found this recently and thought it looked really effective and easy to do.

http://jennasuedesign.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/weathered-wooden-sign-diy.html
  • dingdongavoncalling
    Options
    Thanks to all who replied :) I have tried lots of techniques but decided to trace the letters from the computer (no printer!) and transfer them onto the wood to make an outline to paint over. They look quite nice so I'm considering making some for family Xmas prezzies, off to make another thread about where to source the wooden shapes!

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family