Struggling with debt? Ask a debt advisor a question

Options

Comments

• gerturdeanna
    Options
    Hi

Wonder if anyone can advise please?

I have had in the past DMP's set up through CCCS/Step Change (One under each name). I have stupidly, let the DMP's lapse by not paying even anything when things get a bit tight.
    It is my resolution to get my finances into shape this year for the final time - will StepChange accept me on a DMP again or have I burnt my bridges and should I look elsewhere?

Thanks
    Made it - 15 years married!! Finally!! xx:beer:
  • StepChange_James
    StepChange_James Posts: 861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi

Wonder if anyone can advise please?

I have had in the past DMP's set up through CCCS/Step Change (One under each name). I have stupidly, let the DMP's lapse by not paying even anything when things get a bit tight.
    It is my resolution to get my finances into shape this year for the final time - will StepChange accept me on a DMP again or have I burnt my bridges and should I look elsewhere?

Thanks

Hello,

Great news that you're looking to get your finances sorted out, the new year is always a good time to have a fresh start.

Whether we'll be able to offer a new DMP for you would depend on your circumstances, so I'm afraid I can't give a definite answer. You can get in touch with us and get fresh advice though and we'll be able to talk you through your options again (contact details are in my signature below).

If you're looking at doing a DMP with a different organisation then I'd recommend sticking to the free ones. There's more details about them here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/debt-help-plan#help.

Kind regards

James
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at Need to Sleep

• Dan_J
    Dan_J Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 January 2014 at 12:55PM
    Options
    So we have some cleaner who was useless and pushy so we got rid. Rather - my landlady who happens to be my sister did and any arrangements between cleaner and her were made between them, not me. He stropped off half way through his 2 hour weekly clean as I had not money on me and could not pay him before I left the house after a lunch break. He a said he would be round later to collect his cash - which he did not. That was on 10th Dec. My sister is now out of the country and his guy is demanding payment FROM ME and saying that:

"If payment is not received IMMEDIATELY you will in effect be giving me permission to visit you at your home. And that scenario is best to be avoided..."

Also:

"...Let me remind you and then I am sure you will be happy to transfer the money that is owed..."

The amount "owed" is £8! He constantly threatens a fee of £100 for a "STATEMENT OF DEBT" that will delivered BY HAND. Also "of course if you want to "settle amicably" for a reduced amount (other than £108 - OP) then you can make me an offer when I TURN UP AT YOUR FRONT DOOR"

Now - the tone of this guy is rather threatening. I have told him to send an invoice and that as far as I know there is NO CONTRACT. My sister is away for 3 months and I am reluctant to just give this guy the £8 by BACS (although it would be easier).

Any advice and does this guy have a leg to stand on charging "admin" fees" for a "statement of debt". What I want form him is simply an invoice for services... :huh:

Edit: PS sorry if this has been posted in the wrong place
  • Florida15
    Options
    Hi, hope I am posting in the correct place.

I have a DMP with stepchange (wonderful people). My main creditor is Barclays and although they have stopped charges on two loans and barclaycardsm, YAY, they appear to still be charging interest on our overdraft. I have looked today and charges of £78 have gone out taking us over our overdraft limit in one go and we pay less than this per month to them through stepchange.

Should i write to them or call them or let stepchange know.

Any advice please?
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Florida15 wrote: »

I have a DMP with stepchange (wonderful people). My main creditor is Barclays and although they have stopped charges on two loans and barclaycardsm, YAY, they appear to still be charging interest on our overdraft. I have looked today and charges of £78 have gone out taking us over our overdraft limit in one go and we pay less than this per month to them through stepchange.

Any advice please?

I had the same with Halifax account, (thou the loan and CC was 0%) I contacted them I did it by phone and just explained that I was on a DMP, not using the account since xx date (was about 9 mths at the time) and they apologised (wow) and stopped any charges, how long this will last for I don't know, the banks can charge what they want, its really a goodwill gesture as to whether they charge or not, I would ring, if theres is another charge write in, it may get more omph by writing, - all a long shot but most creditors do help out. xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Former_StepChange_Rachel
    Former_StepChange_Rachel Posts: 252 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Dan_J wrote: »
    So we have some cleaner who was useless and pushy so we got rid. Rather - my landlady who happens to be my sister did and any arrangements between cleaner and her were made between them, not me. He stropped off half way through his 2 hour weekly clean as I had not money on me and could not pay him before I left the house after a lunch break. He a said he would be round later to collect his cash - which he did not. That was on 10th Dec. My sister is now out of the country and his guy is demanding payment FROM ME and saying that:

"If payment is not received IMMEDIATELY you will in effect be giving me permission to visit you at your home. And that scenario is best to be avoided..."

Also:

"...Let me remind you and then I am sure you will be happy to transfer the money that is owed..."

The amount "owed" is £8! He constantly threatens a fee of £100 for a "STATEMENT OF DEBT" that will delivered BY HAND. Also "of course if you want to "settle amicably" for a reduced amount (other than £108 - OP) then you can make me an offer when I TURN UP AT YOUR FRONT DOOR"

Now - the tone of this guy is rather threatening. I have told him to send an invoice and that as far as I know there is NO CONTRACT. My sister is away for 3 months and I am reluctant to just give this guy the £8 by BACS (although it would be easier).

Any advice and does this guy have a leg to stand on charging "admin" fees" for a "statement of debt". What I want form him is simply an invoice for services... :huh:

Edit: PS sorry if this has been posted in the wrong place

Hi there, thanks for posting.

This is a highly unusual situation.It's very unlikely that a county court who handles civil matters such as this would allow such a negligible debt to be pursued through legal proceedings.

As you are not this person's employer, you are not obliged to pay him for time owed. In addition, he would need a contract of employment to prove that he was formally employed by your sister. After all, anyone can say 'this person owes me wages' but without documentation to support this, it's not something the county court would typically pursue.

My advice would be to tell this person to leave you alone, in writing if possible. Stress to him that further threatening contact will result in a complaint to the police.

I hope this helps.

Best regards

Rachel
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at [url="http://www.needtosleep.org]Need to Sleep[/url]

Options

Any advice please?

hi there,

As mum2one has mentioned, a creditor cannot be forced to freeze interest although most of them do, especially when they see that they're truly getting a fair and realistic payment from you at this time.

It may be a good idea to give us a call and we'll look into it for you.

Best regards

Rachel

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at [url="http://www.needtosleep.org]Need to Sleep[/url]

• Pickle29
    Pickle29 Posts: 238 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

Any advice please?

Hi
    Barclays continued to charge us on our overdraft even though they were aware of our DMP (£290 in December ouch) but now they have moved our account into their recovery team instead of collections ( not sure what the difference is) they have agreed no further interest will be charged and have written to us stating this and confirming acceptance of DMP.

Do you know whether your OD is with their collections team or recovery? Just a thought, but I think you should write and ask them to freeze charges (templates available on here)
    Good luck
  • LittleAoife
    Options
    Hi LittleAoife and thank you for your question.

I’m sorry to hear about your separation. We can help you with free and impartial advice, and luckily it’ll be easier to look at your situation if all your debts are in your sole name.

The best place to start is our online advice tool Debt Remedy. You can use this link to get started: http://www.stepchange.org/msehelp. By taking your income, expenditure and details of your creditors it’ll determine your options based on your situation.

I hope this helps, you’ve done the right thing by contacting us.

Thanks,
    James
    Great! I will do this tonight once all the kids are in bed. Thankyou.
    :o:pGetting debt free and moving on from separation one day at a time.:p:o
    Options
    Hello,

I posted here before and everyone was very helpful.

Due to further illness and me again not handling our finances very well, we are now in the process of setting up at DMP with Stepchange.

While setting this up I'm being bombarded with phone calls etc as we have fallen behind, and as things were very tight, it's been impossible to catch up again.

We have a child and our tax credits and child benefit are paid into my account. Those are this accounts only source of funding. I've been buying very small items on ebay (60p - £2.00) for a birthday, knowing there was money in the account to cover it. However, my funding has changed from my debit card on this account to direct debit. The problem being that the bank charged me £50 which I hadn't realised was coming off and the paypal DDs have been refused. I'm expecting to get a £25 for each one now, and there are 6 transactions. I really wish I noticed the funding change on paypal at the time, but hindsight is wonderful I suppose.

I'm now really worried about managing until the DMP is set up. We're in the middle of getting a new bank account set up, which should take no more than a week. Can anyone tell me roughly how long things take to get sorted once Stepchange start the process?

Thanks.

Hi raspberry22,

I’m sorry I think we missed your post earlier.

The process of setting up a DMP is usually quick provided that we have all the necessary information. If you’re worried or unsure about anything, I’d recommend that you give us a quick call. That way we can give you an update and hopefully help to put your mind at ease.

Best wishes,
    Rachel

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure