PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Top brands for less

Options
We have the thread about value brands, but what about getting top name brands for the least amount of money?

For example, InStore (a chain of large discount shops - I don't know if they are local to Bristol or are elsewhere in the UK) have 200g jars of Nescafe coffee granules for £1.98 and 100 Typhoo one-cup tea bags currently reduced from £1.98 to just 89p!
The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)

Comments

• lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Instores are dotted all over, they are the new Poundstretchers, some places it's still got the old name. The Nescafe doesn't taste the same to me, I think IIRC it's got a foreign label on too.

Home Bargains always have a good selection of tinned and packet foods for those who buy a lot of that at cheaper prices. I can't remember exact prices for most things but all cheaper than I'd seen before. Same goes for the cleaning stuff and toiletries etc. Wilkinsons another one for the cleaning/toiletries.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Vashti
    Vashti Posts: 174 Forumite
    Options
    Not tinned, but worth a mention.

Asda, at 9pm on a Sunday night, if you can be bothered, have so much stuff reduced to ridiculous prices (whole chickens for a penny) and they all freeze. All the staff know about it...the whole store was filled with lime green sweatshirts last weekend :)

Worth a trip. I got a whole weeks meals for about three quid the other night!
  • DebbieR
    DebbieR Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you live in the North East Heron frozen food shop always have bargains in their dairy section. I never ever buy yoghurts/yoghurt drinks/cheese etc from Tescos as I can get them for a fraction of the price here. For example branded yoghurts are normally 39p-59p for a pack of four, same with 6 packs of probiotic drinks. The only disadvantage is that you have to take whats in stock at the time and you never know whats going to be on the shelves. It all adds to the thrill though-yes I do have a really exciting life:rolleyes:
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh Herons and Farm Foods are another 2 cheap ones, unsure if there are ones further south but up here there are a few, non in Durham itself but a few futher out, forgot about those.

As for the reductions, never seen anything like that in our local stores, most stores here inc Asda, Sainsburys, Tescos, Somerfield etc you're lucky to get 20p-£1 off an item. Also they close at 4pm or 5pm here on a Sunday. I think its a bit of a postcode lottery with those.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    Vashti wrote: »
    Not tinned, but worth a mention.

Asda, at 9pm on a Sunday night, if you can be bothered, have so much stuff reduced to ridiculous prices (whole chickens for a penny) and they all freeze. All the staff know about it...the whole store was filled with lime green sweatshirts last weekend :)

Worth a trip. I got a whole weeks meals for about three quid the other night!

9pm on a Sunday??? :confused:

I thought all supermarkets closed at 4pm on Sundays.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure