Electric Kettle or Gas?

Options

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    economiser wrote: »
    I really don't know the answer to the OP's question but it is nothing to do with the costs of electricity/gas or the time it takes to boil. It is a question of efficiency.

Surely the cost of electricity and gas is the most important issue for the OP. He asked:
    He says this is cheaper and more efficient than using an electric kettle? Is he right?

It will take 0.xx kWh to boil a kettle with electricity and 0.yy kWh to boil the same amount of water with gas.

I think it is pretty conclusive that more energy will be used by gas. However will that outweigh the more expensive cost of electricity???

However we are talking about fractions of a penny.
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    interesting thread. i had a cheap £14.99 kettle and i must of got used 14 times a day at least. i drink loads of hot drink's and need it to make bottles for my son.

anyway my hubby bought me a tefal quick cup. i dispenses 250ml of hot water enough to make a gorgeous cuppa. by doing this i was then only using and heating what water i needed . i also started using my gas kettle for my sons bottles i would fill it , boil it and once cool make the bottle's. My elec bill last month was around £60 less now i not def saying it is because i stopped using the elec kettle. but it is the only change i have made. i'm happy with my system.

hth
  • Cardew
    Options
    jcr16 wrote: »
    interesting thread. i had a cheap £14.99 kettle and i must of got used 14 times a day at least. i drink loads of hot drink's and need it to make bottles for my son.

anyway my hubby bought me a tefal quick cup. i dispenses 250ml of hot water enough to make a gorgeous cuppa. by doing this i was then only using and heating what water i needed . i also started using my gas kettle for my sons bottles i would fill it , boil it and once cool make the bottle's. My elec bill last month was around £60 less now i not def saying it is because i stopped using the elec kettle. but it is the only change i have made. i'm happy with my system.

hth

A really full electric kettle costs about 1p (one penny) to boil from cold.

So if anyone were silly enough to boil 14 full kettles a day it might cost about £4 a month.

Some of us can roughly guage how much water we need in a kettle and boil that amount.

I doubt if the eco kettle would save many of us 60 pence a year.
  • tonerlab
    Options
    Hi! just my two penniworth on the Tefal Eco Kettle. I've had one for about two months now, the old kettle went bang and replacing it with one of a similar type would have been about £30 pounds. I went the extra mile and bought a tefal eco kettle. I have found it overall to be a good buy. It doesnt boil in three seconds.....wouldnt like to be near a kettle that boils that fast, sounds like a recipe for an explosion. It may start to boil in three seconds, but normally takes around thirty to fill up a cup. It heats ups the water to around 92 degrees which is perfect for coffee, but unless you are like my wife and add cold water, this may be to cool for you.

I wouldnt advise buying one until your kettle goes west as at least thats one way to offset the initial cost. Also because you can fill the reservoir once and still be eco friendly, rather than filling up just what you need each time you boil a conventional kettle, its also disabled, elderly and young adult friendly. My younglings can use the eco kettle without fear of burning themselves.

I would rate the eco kettle as a good way to save money and ease your eco-consciense a little, but as lots of others have said, there are far better, and much cheaper ways to be eco friendly that should be used first.

Cheers Toner Lab! :j
  • economiser
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Surely the cost of electricity and gas is the most important issue for the OP. He asked:

I think it is pretty conclusive that more energy will be used by gas. However will that outweigh the more expensive cost of electricity???

He also said he tried to be "green". And cheapest is not always greenest.
  • Cardew
    Options
    economiser wrote: »
    He also said he tried to be "green". And cheapest is not always greenest.

However the question posed was which was cheapest!

I have opinioned that you will use more energy boiling a kettle with gas, but it might be marginally cheaper.

So which would you conclude is 'greener'?
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    On the other hand submariners say it tastes great!!

Sorry to be a bit late on this one, but..................

as a submariner I can say that tea (or coffee) in a submarine does not taste as good as tea ashore.
    Reason: it's made from "manufactured" water , which tastes flat and generally 'orrible !

I stuck to the beer !
  • Cardew
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    Sorry to be a bit late on this one, but..................

as a submariner I can say that tea (or coffee) in a submarine does not taste as good as tea ashore.
    Reason: it's made from "manufactured" water , which tastes flat and generally 'orrible !

I stuck to the beer !

You think The Royal Navy has problems?

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16135-space-station-urine-recycler-may-be-fixed.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=space-shuttle

Perhaps some of the 'Green Zealots' on MSE should buy one from NASA
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You think The Royal Navy has problems?

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16135-space-station-urine-recycler-may-be-fixed.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=space-shuttle

Perhaps some of the 'Green Zealots' on MSE should buy one from NASA

I may, on occasions, have drunk beer produced like that - it certainly tasted like it !
  • kkkatie
    kkkatie Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Looking for some advice. I've had one of those 3 second kettles for over a year now and have grown to hate it as it doesn't actually boil water, just makes it warm! However, I believe they are good for the environment as it only "boils" the amount required and not a whole kettle worth. But, I'm still not happy with it so have been looking into getting a old style hob top kettle. Does any one of you lovely people know if it is worse to do this, i.e. use gas, or should I get a normal electric kettle. Also, would the gas hob cost me more? Obviously I would only boil as much water as I need and not the whole kettle so this would save the planet a little bit!!

Thanks,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport