PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Turning a OS disaster round!

Options
Just thought I'd share this with you!

Decided to make a quiche and rhubarb (from garden) pie for tea and started to do pastry in mixer. It wasn't going right and then I realised instead of half fat to flour, I'd done same fat to flour! So I had to put in more flour to make pastry ok and have ended up with twice as much as needed.

Not putting that to waste, I've now got a quiche, cheese & onion pie, rhubarb pie, jam/lemon curd tarts and with left over bits, I've made a cheese and marmite square. I shouldn't need to do any cooking for the next few days anyway! :rotfl:

Has anyone else done something similar or is it only me that does daft things like this?
"It is always the best policy to speak the truth-unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar." - Jerome K Jerome

Comments

• Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Options
    I'm always doing daft things, I put it down to my age. Mine never seem to turn out as productive as yours though.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Nope its something I think we all do occasionally. Taking our eye of the ball so to speak.

You can freeze pastry if that helps for next time. :p
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Well done on making so much!!! Like the idea of cheese and marmite squares, sound lovely!!!
    I love quiche, but my children refuse to eat it, so i dont make it very often now.
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    I'm always doing daft things, I put it down to my age. Mine never seem to turn out as productive as yours though.
    Hester

If you're as young as you look in your avatar then you shouldn't be going senile yet! ;)
  • fizzyfeet_2
    fizzyfeet_2 Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    What's a cheese and marmite square? Sounds yummy, I love marmite!
  • 1sttimer_2
    1sttimer_2 Posts: 728 Forumite
    Options
    fizzyfeet wrote: »
    What's a cheese and marmite square? Sounds yummy, I love marmite!

When you've got a bit of pastry left, roll it out to an oblong/square or whatever it will stretch to, gently spread marmite on one half, bit by bit, not easy but doable, I find the back of a spoon better than a knife, and grate quite a bit cheese over it, dampen edges and fold in half, put a few cuts in top and brush with milk. Cook at gas 5 for about 15/20 mins. It's scrumptious and a favourite of ours - and my OH doesn't even LIKE marmite!

Sorry I cannot give you quantities as it depends on amount of pastry used, but just do what you think looks ok.
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth-unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar." - Jerome K Jerome
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wow sounds like a real baking session there.....reminds me of when I made my first microwave cake, ooops bit too much, but no chance to save any as the kids demolished it!
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • fizzyfeet_2
    fizzyfeet_2 Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    1sttimer wrote: »
    When you've got a bit of pastry left, roll it out to an oblong/square or whatever it will stretch to, gently spread marmite on one half, bit by bit, not easy but doable, I find the back of a spoon better than a knife, and grate quite a bit cheese over it, dampen edges and fold in half, put a few cuts in top and brush with milk. Cook at gas 5 for about 15/20 mins. It's scrumptious and a favourite of ours - and my OH doesn't even LIKE marmite!

Sorry I cannot give you quantities as it depends on amount of pastry used, but just do what you think looks ok.

Thanks, will have to try this, bit like making cheese straws, but with marmite aswell!
  • JillD_2
    JillD_2 Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    Options
    I do this kind of thing all the time too. My all time best was doing a Tesco online delivery, and instead of ordering 5 bananas,I ordered 5 kilos of bananas. It was about 52 bananas, and it was before I had any children :eek:

We had bananas fritters, baked bananas, banana split, banana cheesecake, banana smoothies, banana on cereal, jamaican curry with banana!

I did have to take the last few to work as we got so sick of them, and this of course was all before I (recently on here) found out you could freeze them LOL
    Jan GC: £202.65/£450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: £0/0lbs

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business