Thanks to those who participated in our 'Ask An Expert: Scams' event. Scam expert MSE Katie's video answers are available to watch on the board now.

My Busy Life

in Debt free diaries
626 replies 40.9K views
Hi Everyone,

Im not sure that here is the correct place to post my ramblings but here goes. I dont actually have any debt - but if I dont start to make some savings in my life, then I am going to end up with some !! I have been single for 2 years approx and live in my own home with a mortgage of £33,000 over 9.5 years. Well thats ok but I dont have much back up money wise so if anything major happened to either my house or my car, I would have to get in to debt to cover it. So......

My plan is to start to tighten the belt a bit. I only work a couple of days a week and am not entitled to any benefits as I get a fairly good wage for what I do. So I hope to carry on paying my mortgage but I also want to start to do some serious saving up to create an emergency fund. Really I want to stop wasting any money i have coming in and put it to good use. I might even like to make some overpaymennts to my mortage if i can.

I have a couple of other smaller goals such as shifting about a stone in weight and also making good use of my time off work instead of sitting around doing very little. I seem to have fallen into the lazy trap a bit.

Anyway ...Here goes. Wish me luck :)
Starting Mortgage £33012.23 on 27/04/12.
Mortgage Now £26679.16
Redemption fee £923.43
Toiletries used up - 47
Books read - 33
Savings -£4793

Replies

• Good luck sidneysmum, and well done for getting yourself organised before you need to!!

All the best on your journey xx.
    Weight 12 st 2lb - Now 11 stone 1 lb (-15 lb)
    Saving £0 Now £1,000.00-J Cricket fund £200.00
    £70.00/£350.00 grocery challenge in October
    Custardy's 9000 reps by the new year 3000/9000
    £10.00 a day extra earnings - £127.00/£310.00
    “What the caterpillar calls the end, the rest of the world calls a butterfly.” Lao Tse
  • Thanks very much Rainbow Bridge. I have been reading your diary and am well impressed with your weight loss. Great stuff. I have for the last week been following the Paul Mckenna " I can make you thin" plan and have felt great since starting it. I have done tons of comfort eating over the past 18 months or so but havent been tempted at all this week since following the plan. :)
    Mortgage Now £26679.16
    Redemption fee £923.43
    Toiletries used up - 47
    Books read - 33
    Savings -£4793
  • Update for today - Its been a low spend day. Went to [EMAIL="A@di"][email protected][/EMAIL] and spent some cash on some of the super six fruit and veg - butternut squash, peppers, apples and satsumas. The veg will be perfect for making soup.

My zumba class this morning was included in my monthly gym direct debit (£20 per month for unlimited gym use and unlimited attendance at classes) Its the best money I`ve ever spent as I exercise at the gym most days !!!

Tea was lovely and all done on a budget. Started with home made veg soup, followed by a bargain piece of pork shoulder cooked in the slow cooker, new pots and cabbage. There is loads of pork left so that will be used for sandwiches and another tea tomorrow.

Off now to get ready for Downton. :)
    Mortgage Now £26679.16
    Redemption fee £923.43
    Toiletries used up - 47
    Books read - 33
    Savings -£4793
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    83K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Happy shiney new diary.
    Keep posting!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    MFW. Finally mortgage free February 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • Thank you Beanielou !
    Mortgage Now £26679.16
    Redemption fee £923.43
    Toiletries used up - 47
    Books read - 33
    Savings -£4793
  • Hi sidneysmum, i've dabbled with Paul in the past, and thought he was very good, but I never seem to be able to stick with things long enough to make them work, that is what I am hoping will be different this time. I am giving myself a whole year to change myself!!

I have been meaning to try the Aldi super six. Do you prefer Aldi to Lidl's?

As Beanie says, keep posting, it definately helps, I will enjoy watching your progress xx.
    “What the caterpillar calls the end, the rest of the world calls a butterfly.” Lao Tse
  • Thanks for popping by Rainbow Bridge. Not really sure about Aldi versus Lidl. I only go to Aldi as its very near to the gym I go to and Lidl is miles away. But every time I buy something from Aldi, I am always pleased with it.

Today has been quite moneysaving. Started with my "free" zumba class which I thoroughly enjoyed. Called at Tesco afterwards as I had run out of sultanas and was able to stock up on 6 bags for the price of 4 (£3.36). In my book, thats a bargain !! Spent the rest of my day doing chores and relaxing. Tea was leftovers of the roast pork from yesterday. Very tasty.

My plan is for tomorrow, other than working, is to make a phone call to my mortgage provider and find out all the details about making some small capital overpayments!! Also I am going to submit some meter readings to my gas/elec provider and see if I can make an interim payment.

Done Ok with the healthy eating today so far although I have to say that the cold weather has made me feel hungrier than usual.

Hope everyone is having a good moneysaving day :)
    Mortgage Now £26679.16
    Redemption fee £923.43
    Toiletries used up - 47
    Books read - 33
    Savings -£4793
  • Today has been a work day. Didnt spend anything on lunch as I took leftovers and fruit to eat. All moneysaving and healthy. Phoned my mortgage provider and the news was good on the balance amount ( I will add this to my signature soon). They advised me that due to technical problems on their behalf, I will have to attend a branch to make an overpayment if I want to make a payment soon. Otherwise I will have to wait a few weeks for them to sort the matter out!! I made a few rude noises and was told that I would be sent a £25 cheque for the inconvenience. That certainly sweetened the situation.:)

After work I used the gym for an hour -:T. Also I went to my local £shop and spent a few £s stocking up on bargains. I have just had my lovely tea, small portions of homemade carrot and coriander soup plus some thai red chicken curry and rice. Wonderful !! Finally just made some home made hummus for my lunch at work tomorrow. Very money saving :A

Hope everyone else is having a great moneysaving day.
    Mortgage Now £26679.16
    Redemption fee £923.43
    Toiletries used up - 47
    Books read - 33
    Savings -£4793
  • Signature now added. :)
    Mortgage Now £26679.16
    Redemption fee £923.43
    Toiletries used up - 47
    Books read - 33
    Savings -£4793
  • Hi sidneysmum,

It sounds like you have got into a really good routine already, the thai red chicken curry and rice sounds lovely.

TTFN xx.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals