What is a season ticket loan

New Post Advanced Search

What is a season ticket loan

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Loans
13 replies 13.4K views
gazsuxgazsux Forumite
11 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Loans
I've seen a few of these (season ticket loans) offered with decent jobs but have been unable to find out what they are and can be used for when Googling. Any ideas?

Replies

• newfoundglorynewfoundglory Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know what, I actually don't know! I've seen these with jobs too though. I suspect they are the employer offering interest-free loans for a fixed period, or maybe a loan where you don't have to start repayments for a given amount of time?
  • newfoundglorynewfoundglory Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Aaaah, makes sense now! :D

:beer:
  • tomh_2tomh_2 Forumite
    23 posts
    Yep, it's a way for people to get an annual travelcard with the company paying up front, then i guess deducting a twelfth off your wages each month...

(e.g. instead of paying £18.50 pre week * 52 = £962 per year for a zone 1, the company pays the £740 up front and you pay them £14.23 per week out of your wages)
  • gazsuxgazsux Forumite
    11 posts
    Cheers for that. So it's more of a nice thing to have than a major benefit.

Thanks!
  • BenLBenL Forumite
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have that facility at work.

Some people use them for annual rail tickets and others for car park contracts.

Interest free and pay it back out of your wage each month over 12 months

Ben
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • Bargain_RzlBargain_Rzl Forumite
    6.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have the option of one. My season ticket (London zones 1-4) costs a bit over £1100, and I used to take the loan because I did not have the cashflow to pay for an annual ticket, but wanted the benefits (better value for money, free built-in Network Railcard etc).

A couple of years ago I saved for the following year's ticket while still paying the instalments on the loan, and bought my next annual ticket outright. But since discovering this website I've decided that this July, when I next renew, I'm going to take the loan again just so as to earn a few quid in interest by having my cash in my account for an extra year!
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • isasmurfisasmurf Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I take the loan, stick it in high interest savings account, and buy my season ticket on a 0% credit card deal. So the loan remains in my savings account for a whole year! :D
  • My company allows you to get a season ticket loan and pay it back over 6 or 10 months. This works out nicely for me as it means for November and December I have an extra 300 a month that can pay for christmas!

Some companies, however, mine included, insist on purchasing the ticket for you so that you cant get a 0% loan from them and then stash it in the bank.
    Bank Charges Claimed: 180

Debenhams card: 600 now paid
    Littlewoods: 100 now paid
  • Bargain_RzlBargain_Rzl Forumite
    6.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some companies, however, mine included, insist on purchasing the ticket for you so that you cant get a 0% loan from them and then stash it in the bank.

My company insists that a photocopy of the season ticket is submitted to them within x number of days of the loan being issued. It's the same thing. But you can still gain financially from it by earning interest for the rest of the year on the cash you would have spent on the ticket if the loan was not available.

An ex-colleague got the sack over misappropriation of her season ticket loan - that is, she spent it on something else!
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • Debt_Free_ChickDebt_Free_Chick Forumite
    13.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Al_Mac wrote:
    A loan given by your employer to buy your season, travel ticket. Popular in London, might be a taxable bemefit.

:beer:

Not any more

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/pdfs/ir176.htm

The new Travel Plan is designed to encourage transport, other than by car, to & from work and for business travel.

:)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support