We Are Not Alone! But WHY?

It seems us mortgage free'rs are not alone according to the Daily Express:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/354681/How-paying-off-the-mortgage-really-is-the-stuff-of-dreams

It's certainly my goal/dream/wish. The bigger question from this one is, however, why do you want to be mortgage free? For me it will be the freedom to choose how much I need to work to fund my lifestyle and that is going to be a whole lot less than I am now for a sure thing! This means I am effectively buying time back for me to enjoy as I see fit rather than selling it in wage-slavery to the (often lowest) bidder.

So why are YOU getting rid of the mortgage?

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 October 2012 at 8:09PM
    Money = time

I'd like to spend it on pursuits more worthy than chasing documents around an office!

I love how avoiding a criminal record was listed as an achievement in that article - seriously?! :eek:
  • Money = time

I'd like to spend it on pursuits more worthy than chasing documents around an office!

I love how avoiding a criminal record was listed as an achievement in that article - seriously?! :eek:

LOL! It can be read two ways though: either the respondents are in the main crooked OR it is a sad reflection on the sheer weight of laws that are on the average person nowadays and even minor motoring offences for example often end up with a criminal record or prosecution.....:undecided
  • To enable me to work part time and/or do something I love which probably won't pay well.
    Slow progress is better than no progress.
  • ecoelle
    ecoelle Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I want us to be mortgage free so i can work the same amount i am now but be able to spend the £650 i spend on my mortgage every month on other things, like saving for my baby girls future, going abroad for holidays, being able to have a store cupboard of food like the ones i see on tv chef programmes:) I like the idea of owning something outright that is mine/my families investment for the future. I do not want to work more hours, or change to a well paid job that i hate, i just want to be able to work the same as i am now, in a job i love for hours which allow me to still look after my baby myself. Goodness i want to be MF now!
  • nattypants
    nattypants Posts: 2,577 Forumite

So why are YOU getting rid of the mortgage?

For me, ever since the children were born, it has always been a financial struggle and after a few years soul searching (being in a failing and difficult relationship - whole other story) I knew it was sink or swim time, so I choose to swim like mad!

I came into house buying quite late in life - in comparison to some - and the house we (children and I) are in now, is only my second property, however I am confident that this IS our forever home so after a looong time of financial poverty and misery I am determined never to be in that situation again and have worked very hard to be in a strong position professionally.
    The house for me, symbolises just how far we have come, and to own outright as early as possible, will close that wee metaphorical tunnel called the past :D

Hope that didn't sound too Oprah!
    February13 - £74990 (or thereabouts)
    MND - Let's go for 2020 'cos it's got a nice ring to it:D
    C'mon nattypants:cool:
  • sweetdaisy
    sweetdaisy Posts: 1,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I want to be mortgage-free so that it will provide an opportunity for me to be able to reduce my hours at work/take a job on less pay so that I can work closer to home, which means that I can spend more time with the children. I'll also be able to put more money into savings and provide more for the children when they are older i.e. University/College fees (if they go), help to get on the property ladder etc.
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I like money, and paying it off will stop the bank getting too much of mine!

Also means that I have a lot more control of job prospects and work, because paying the mortgage won't govern my life and require X amount of hours or wages. I think it will be a lot more important if/when I have a family, not to be ruled by it.
  • For us (Me and the good lady) it is to be in a position to be able to do what we want without having to work to 70. We never live beyond our means and both would aspire to have time with family over salary... Also I like Becky's answer about the fact that when you know how much you owe in interest to the bank every month makes you want to pay it off asap.
    Feb 2012 - onwards MF achieved
    September 2016 - Back into clearing a mortgage - Was due to be paid off in 32 years in March 2047 -
    April 2018 down to 28.00 months vs 30.04 months at normal payment.
    Predicted mortgage clearing 03/2047 - now looking at 02/2045

Aims: 1) To pay off mortgage within 20 years - 2037
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family