Solar Panels -how much less electricity are you using ?

January 2011 to January 2012 we used 10862kwh.

We had solar panels installed at the end of February this year.

Just had a bill from EON and they say we used 7758kwh in the last twelve months till now.

Quite happy with that :j
12 panels south facing,8 panels south-east facing,4KWP system,pitch 40 degrees,Aurora inverter & location is sunny Glasgow.

Replies

• CardewCardew Forumite
    28.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure of the point you are making!

Are you implying that you have used over 3,000kWh less in the year because of the PV panels that have been on your roof for less than 8 months?

Presumably using nearly 11,000kWh a year you use electricity for some heating?

Jan 2011 and the following months were some of the coldest on record - but last winter was the opposite.

Most people on this forum who have had Solar PV for a while indicate a saving of 1,000kWh per year is a ballpark figure.

P.S.
    I am assuming you don't have an electricity meter that runs backwards?
  • Cardew wrote: »
    Not sure of the point you are making!

Are you implying that you have used over 3,000kWh less in the year because of the PV panels that have been on your roof for less than 8 months?

Presumably using nearly 11,000kWh a year you use electricity for some heating?

Jan 2011 and the following months were some of the coldest on record - but last winter was the opposite.

Most people on this forum who have had Solar PV for a while indicate a saving of 1,000kWh per year is a ballpark figure.

P.S.
    I am assuming you don't have an electricity meter that runs backwards?

No I don't.In the summer on sunny days it would just stop rotating.Consumption data I am quoting is from EON bills.One of the reasons the figure is down so much from the previous Jan 11 to Jan 12 is that early this year I switched off completely electric underfloor heating in two bathrooms.

Only point I was making was that I'm using a lot less so I'm happy and my solar panels have assisted in this.
    12 panels south facing,8 panels south-east facing,4KWP system,pitch 40 degrees,Aurora inverter & location is sunny Glasgow.
  • edited 23 October 2012 at 6:41PM
    Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    12.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 October 2012 at 6:41PM
    Hiya BirnamBear, been a little over a year for us (mid Aug 11). We've seen import drop from approx 2,700units to about 1,700 comparing the 12 months pre and post PV.

Consumption drop may be a little more than 1,000 as we also changed a few things. We went from a gas hob to an induction hob in late June 11. Started using an electric slow cooker too. We also added a pet heater last winter (for an iffy cat, and also to distract another cat from taking over the bed), heater is only 30W on a timer 8pm to 8am and on (or off) every 30mins but still adds up to over 5units a month. It got re-installed about a week ago, and is proving a hit again. Also started to use an oil filled radiator (400W) on mild days to maintain temp (in a single room) rather than put the heating back on.

Some of the extra stuff will be 'helped' by PV, some won't so PV supplying at least 1,000 units. Also helped to reduce our gas consumption, but we'll need an average winter before we can properly compare changes in gas consumption.

Now extended with a small WNW system (late July 12), whose winter generation will mostly get consumed but small, but most of it's summer generation will probably get exported. Even so, we hope to reduce import by another 300 to 400 units Aug to Aug fingers crossed.

It would be quite interesting to get a smart meter now, to see what we are exporting, and hence calculate total consumption. Consumption may now be closer to 3,000units (electric hob plus other bits), so PV may have reduced import by closer to 1,300 units last 12 months, but purely speculating now.

First year generation approx 2,800units, year 2 should be around 4,100units.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • tunneltunnel Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think its a very difficult question to answer,"Solar Panels -how much less electricity are you using ?"

Why? I think that once you have panels in,most people would start to change their habits. You only need to read on various threads on here,i myself have changed my tv from a plasma eating 320w an hour(on 12-14hrs a day) to an lcd using a modest 84w. I've changed my washer to an A+++ rated machine,my drier,the same.

My changes and my changing usage has resulted in my consumption dropping from approx 8500kWh to a modest 3-3500kWh per year.

How much of that difference is from solar is anybodys guess but i like yourself believe "I'm using a lot less so I'm happy and my solar panels have assisted in this"

Tunnel
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have headed this thread: Solar Panels -how much less electricity are you using ?

You detail dates of the fitting of solar panels, figures from Eon showing you have used over 3,000kWh less electricity.

Now surely someone reading the title of this thread and the information you provided, would come to the conclusion you were trying to quantify how much the solar panels had contributed to lower consumption!

Instead you now say that the savings are mainly, and unsurprisingly, due to switching off underfloor heating in two bathrooms.
  • edited 23 November 2012 at 7:42PM
    Kernel_SandersKernel_Sanders Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 November 2012 at 7:42PM
    Cardew wrote: »
    Now surely someone reading the title of this thread and the information you provided, would come to the conclusion you were trying to quantify how much the solar panels had contributed to lower consumption!
    Indeed, my electricity consumption has increased dramatically since installation, but I'm now using a tiny fraction of the gas that I used to.
  • bjohnsonbjohnson Forumite
    77 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Our electricity consumption has gone from 6582 kWh to 3307 kWh, comparing the year before we had the panels installed to the past year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    we have pv, solar panels and very high levels of insulation plus solar gain when sunny. We are all electric and I home bake, make lots of jams and chutneys as well as dehydrate constantly for a couple of months. I decided to use a heater on thermostat for a while in early nov, also the immersion as I didn`t want to light the pellet stove. I could therefore have used less electricity

Units used through the whole year: 2651

I am with good energy but will look around today, seeing that coop energy are droppingtheir prices
  • The social effect of solar PV shouldn't be underestimated. It's pretty clear from these forums and my own experience that the panels really can turn the homeowner into an energy saving obsessive ;).

This is a happy side effect that rarely gets budgeted for when doing the calculations on the payback period for solar PV!

/\dam
  • We're finding that 40% consumption of your pv generation is acheivable without 'too much' effort, with an intelligent immersion controller that can push you into 60-80% consumption, if you have a high enough HW demand you could be exporting very little.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News