The Festive Fivers competition is back!

Comments

• ashton53 wrote: »
    Name of present: 50 Sheds Of Grey
    Whether it's bought or homemade: Bought
    Total cost/details: £2.48 Google Play Ebook (or £5 from Amazon including delivery if you want a hardbacked real-life version)
    A link to the offer if it's online (where possible):
    https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=BiS2KwNr9loC Google Play or Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fifty-Sheds-Grey-Erotica-not-too-modern/dp/0752265458/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1351645059&sr=1-1

I bought this little book for my dad as he loves his shed and we both found it hilarious - it's a parody of the 50 Shades Of Grey book (about 140 pages of one-liners that are all shed or garden based Carry-On style double entendres). Nothing too naughty though. An ideal present for middle aged men (or women as I loved it too) who are into sheds or gardening (and you want an alternative from socks again).

Great idea .... the kindle version is only 74p from Amazon at the moment!
  • cinders59
    cinders59 Posts: 7,628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Name of Present: Christmas Picture Frame
    Home Made/some bought
    Total cost: up to £5

Take an old picture frame either one you have or a cheap bought one, decorate with festive ribbons, berries from holly, or any Christmas decorations you have lying around.
    Put a picture of your family from last Christmas inside the frame, and give it as a Christmas present to a member of your family
    Thanks to all who post comps :)
    ITV winners membersclub#2
  • cinders59
    cinders59 Posts: 7,628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Fragrance Freebies
    Homemade
    Free/ £1 for ribbons

Go to the department stores around this time of year, ask at the cosmetic/perfume counters if they have any free samples to give away.
    Find a pretty box or bag that you have lying around the house, or make one out of some material and ribbons.
    wrap and give them to your fav aunt or grandmother :)
    Thanks to all who post comps :)
    ITV winners membersclub#2
  • Name of present: Homemade Herbal Tea
    Bought or homemade: Homemade but buy ingredients
    Total cost: £4-5
    Details (where it's from, how to make it etc):
    Simply mix together all of the ingredients in equal quantities (~10g each) in a jar or small plastic bag and tie with a ribbon and some instructions (1 heaped tsp. of the herbs, infuse for 2min in boiling water). To complete the gift get a mug and tea strainer from pound shops or similar. 2 options for the tea below but you can use any range of available dried herbs to suit (best place is from a health food shop which sells them loose rather than expensive supermarket versions or use your own garden ones dried of course)
    Sleeptime Tea: camomile, lemon balm, passiflora, rosebuds
    De-Stress Tea: camomile, lemon balm, passiflora, mint
  • Name of present: Driftwood Picture Frame
    Bought or homemade:Homemade
    Total cost: £3-4 (wood glue and frame)
    Collect bits of driftwood when out and about enjoying yourself on the beach. Make sure its dried out and bug free before using! Get an old picture frame with a chunky wooden border (or buy a cheap one in a charity shop ~£2). If you want to, paint the frame if you like in a bright colour and leave to dry. Attach your driftwood using wood glue ensuring everything is well stuck together, your painted frame should show through any gaps making an attractive backdrop. Insert a memorable photo / picture or leave empty for your recipient to fill.
    • Name of present: Pampering in a Jar
    • Whether it's bought or homemade: combination
    • Total cost: £3-£5 depending on contents
    • Details (where it's from, how to make it etc):
    I bought 1l jars from Ikea (80p), filled with a small selection of pampering goodies - some freebies from magazines, some bought - here's an example of 1 jar's contents made for a member of my staff:
    1 jar from Ikea - 80p
    1 facecloth - £1 from superdrug,
    1 x single face mask - 99p from superdrug
    1 x lip balm tin (part of a pack of 3 from boots - equalling £1 each)
    1 x single sachet hot chocolate (again part of a multi pack but equalling around 30p)
    A few single Lindt chocolate balls - taken from a box

This type of gift works well if you have a few to do, I have a team of 4 staff - all female so have done one for each of them, 1 for my sister & 2 for friends - this way you can take advantage of multibuy offers - like 3 for 2 at Boots.

Finish the jar with a nice handmade label and ribbon - or another option is to use a glue gun to handwrite the recipients name on the jar, then sprinkle with glitter.
  • Laurer wrote: »
    Name of present: Gardeners' Plant Marker Stones
    Whether it's bought or homemade: Combination of both
    Total cost: Approx £1 for a few stones
    • Collect some flat stones from the beach
    • Paint pictures of or the words of the fruits and vegetables your gardener friend often grows on the stones
    • Leave to dry
    • Varnish if necessary
    • Tell the recipient to place these in the soil next to the relevant plant to show what is what and for a better looking and personalised alternative to standard labels

I'm going to do this for my Dad this year.

DO NOT collect stones from the beach.You could get into serious trouble from D.E.F.R.A.
    IT IS ILLEGAL.
  • Name of present: Blackboard Notice Board
    Bought or homemade: Homemade - buy wood/paint
    Total cost: £4-5
    Get a small piece of MDF (offcut piles in B&Q, homebase or a local timbers merchant are cheapest) and cut into an attractive shape or just leave as it. Drill 2 holes at the top and then paint board with blackboard paint. When dry thread some pretty ribbon through the holes for hanging and buy some chalk to go with it (wilkos, early learning centre, WHSmiths)

For a different version, cover your piece of wood in a piece of material stapling securely at the back and then attach small pieces of string like washing lines across the front (staple on at the back). Buy some mini crafting pegs (I got some in 'the works' recently) for attaching notices / reminders. And if you like glue on a small post-it pad for writing notes / shopping lists etc.
    • Name of present: I'm all yours
    • Whether it's bought or homemade: Homemade
    • Total cost: £0 if you can get a free ribbon/very little
    • Details (where it's from, how to make it etc):
    Many years ago my (then) husband and I were saving madly and resolved not to buy each other anything for Valentine's Day (but it could just as well be Christmas). I got hold of a long ribbon and tied myself up in a bow so that I was his Valentine's gift. He appreciated it anyway!:love:
    Life is mainly froth and bubble
    Two things stand like stone —
    Kindness in another’s trouble,
    Courage in your own.
    Adam Lindsay Gordon
  • Name of present: Blackboard Notice Board
    Bought or homemade: Homemade - buy wood/paint if needed
    Total cost: £2-3
    Get a small piece of MDF / wood (offcuts in B&Q, homebase, local timber merchant) and drill 2 holes at the top, paint the board any colour you like. It may take a bit of time and a few friends but collect together as many wine corks as you can (you could try wine shops - Majestic were helpful to me, as they often have corks left over from tastings!). Glue the corks to the board, in a square or wine bottle shape. Thread some pretty ribbon through the holes for hanging.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure