Real-life MMD: Whose dog is it anyway?

Options
124»

Comments

• smashedcrab
    Options
    Given the information about how your father & his wife feel about you, your brother & your child, and how they wouldn't help you out if you were in need, why would you want to help them out? No, don't offer to pay as they wouldn't if it was the other way round. Your stepbrother (& his parents) knew the implications when taking on your dog. If they think badly of you for this, well, it sounds like they do already so it wouldn't really make any difference.
    Saying that, if they had been kind, loving parents I would've paid all the vet's bill and just be happy that I can still see my pet of 8 years, because giving it up must have been really hard.
  • dave2
    dave2 Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE_Debs wrote: »
    Money Moral Dilemma: Whose dog is it anyway?

so now feel as though we ought to contribute.

It appears you have already made your decision?

Otherwise it is quite difficult for us to conclude, as on the one hand the stepbrother has taken on responsibility for the dog and is so responsible for the vet bills. On the other, it seems likely that there was an element of favour involved in him taking on the dog and doing a good thing, so I think I could be sympathetic to his position aswell.
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    So is this a family dog? If so maybe you should all chip in.
  • silverswan
    Options
    Thanks for letting us know the full story Fresian-Cow.What a sad state of affairs for you, with the dog marking the baby's face and subsequently having to make the decision to rehome it, and as if that wasn't enough, being expected to help out with vet's bills. I don't think you should feel obliged to help out under the circumstances, but as a goodwill gesture you could offer a third or a quarter of the cost as we all know how much less cash is around after a new baby. I think the SB should pay at least a third of the final bill anyhow and let his parents contribute a fair whack too (as a goodwill gesture to him.)
  • Ashagill
    Ashagill Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 October 2012 at 12:19PM
    Options
    Aw man, given the explanation, I'd be more inclined to say do not pay. Even though it's family, you'll still be walked over and you have a new baby to look after!

It's like buying a jumper with a defect, You get the 10% off, but it's non-refundable!
    I'm aware that's an awful awful analogy, but it's the first one that sprang to mind!
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." ~ Abraham Lincoln
  • milvusvestal
    Options
    You don't explain the reason why you gave up your dog but, from what you say, it seems you owned it since it was a puppy and, for that reason alone, I think it's perfectly fair and reasonable that you should pay the vet's bills.

All too often, people buy a dog or cat or whatever as the mood takes them and then, when they've tired of them, they treat them like a cast-off, with little or no thought at all about what's going through the creature's mind. Handing a pet around, even to people you know, isn't just like passing the parcel. It's a loyal, trusting and loving creature, and it deserves the full support of the owner, and that still means YOU.
  • xcarlyx
    xcarlyx Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm 19 and I've just brought my first dog and I love him so much hes like a child to me that I enjoy spoiling x
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    in hindsight this could have been the reason for his issues with the baby, we will never know

You may be right - I knew a dog that bit a toddler on the face. The dog was put to sleep and the vet said afterwards that he had an undiagnosed brain tumour which might well have affected his behaviour.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Despite the 'warning', this sounds like a long standing family pet so I think you should ALL chip in to pay for vet and medical bills.

I would be grateful too that your stepbrother was willing to take on an old dog. He gave it a home and took on the general day to day care. That is worth it's weight in gold.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure