Buying solar panels ... mortgage lender

Hi.

We are looking to have solar panels installed on the 29th October. I spoke to my insurance, who said that there is no problem, and assuming the cost of rebuilding does not come to above £400,000 with the panels, we will not need to do anything...

I also spoke to the local council about planning, who directed me to a document, and as long as:
  • the solar PV or solar thermal equipment would protrude more than 200 millimetres beyond the plane of the wall or the roof slope when measured from the perpendicular with the external surface of the wall or roof slope;
  • it would result in the highest part of the solar PV or solar thermal equipment being higher than the highest part of the roof (excluding any chimney);

we are ok (we are not in a conservation area, a scheduled monument or a listed building, so ignored those comments).

I finally called the mortgage lender, who said my installer should have contacted them to ensure it was all ok, but failing that (since they never took any details on mortgage, not that I can see why it would be them), I can send a letter asking their permission.

I didn't think this would be needed, as we are buying the panels, and not doing the free panel thing... But, I have started drafting a letter anyway. The problem will be, we are away for a week starting this weekend, so only have today/tomorrow to get the letter to them...

So, what are peoples thoughts on this? Do we need their permission? I am wondering if they are confusing us with one of the free schemes where we rent their roof space?

Other option I'm thinking of, is to get them to send the letter to the installer, but don't want any personal information being put on there about our account etc... Should I go ahead with the install anyway?!

Opinions please... :)

Replies

• thenudeonethenudeone Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be worried. I didn't even ask my mortgage company.

I don't think there would be any reason for them to be any more worried than if you were adding a conservatory or something like that, as long as it's done reputably and in line with building regulations.

I played safe and applied for building regulation approval, though. It can all be done online.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • thenudeone wrote: »
    I wouldn't be worried. I didn't even ask my mortgage company.

I don't think there would be any reason for them to be any more worried than if you were adding a conservatory or something like that, as long as it's done reputably and in line with building regulations.

I played safe and applied for building regulation approval, though. It can all be done online.

How did you do that then? Have just had a look through, and it appears that you need someone to come and check the dead load of the roof and assess whether the panels will conform to this?! How did you do it all online? Does it cost to have that done?

Now I am starting to get worried... _pale_
  • lovelldrlovelldr Forumite
    269 Posts
    Hmmmm, just looked at the t&c's of the contract again, and must've mis-read the bit where it said about building regs approval... Will I need to get building regs approval for the install? How do I go about it? Can it be online?
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't the Solar company surveyor clear with the Council building regs Dept?
  • WestonDaveWestonDave Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would be tempted to call the mortgage company back and make it clear that its not a rent a roof scheme but a normal home improvement which has no impact on charges etc over the home. I phoned my mortgage company out of courtesy and once they were clear that I was buying the panels not renting them they basically said it was none of their business. I think the comment re the installer calling them suggests they have you confused with a rent a roof instal where the installer would be putting a charge on the house in respect of ownership of the panels.
    Adventure before Dementia!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides