fifty+ "bags for life"

:o:o:o

in decluttering I have consolidated my "bag for life" collection - and I have over 50, some hemp, some plastic, all sturdy and cluttering up my home.

I live in Wales, and since the 5p charge was introduced some places don't stock "single use" bags (which I tended to use lots more than once because they could be screwed up into my handbag) - and yes I support the charge, but I've not been organised enough, so.....

50+ bags - NOT very green, any suggestions for recycling/repurposing - or somewhere I can give them to be reused/redistributed (I asked someone I know who works in my most local store and they said if I gave them back they'd just bin them as they couldn't be resold...."
:AA/give up smoking (done) :)

Replies

• Ben84Ben84 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Give them to a charity shop, I'm sure they will use them.
  • good_advicegood_advice Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler PPI Party Pooper Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most people use plastic bags to line their bins.
    Put some in your shopping bag and car.

I think we all collect to many carrier bags, I do. Tesco take them back in my local store. There is a recycle bin at the back of store.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • dvdrdldvdrdl Forumite
    104 Posts
    I use my old bags for all sorts from lining bins to wrapping parcels in.
    I dont use supermarkets that charge for bags as this then means i have to buy bin liners anyway.
  • AntispamAntispam Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have used bags for life for over 8 years now still have some of the same bags although they wont last much longer. Having a charge does make some of us think, well it does me when we go to Aldi when there is a charge. Occasionally I do forget the bag on weekly shop its rare but does happen as I keep bags in garage now use to keep them in car but often had to take them out
  • EdwardiaEdwardia Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a big collection of hemp, jute and cotton bags for life. I just use a few at a time. I keep them in a huge one under the stairs and just pull out when needed. I've bought them as gift bags for people this year as well.
  • beautiful_ravensbeautiful_ravens Forumite
    769 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Planters/plantpots.
    Storage [garage/loft/toys etc]
    Wellie bags.
    Log/fireside bags - jute ones look ok with logs in.
    Tool bag - garden tools/shed etc
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News