PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fish cooking smells

Options
When ever I cook fish for about 2 days after I get the fishy smell I dont have a extractor or cooker hood, only a very small kitchen with no door on it into the rest of the house.I do burn candles while cooking in the hallway. Help please

Comments

• freya18th
    freya18th Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry about the red face on previous thread
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi freya,

To get rid of cooking smells I bring to the boil and then simmer a half water/half vinegar mixture in a saucepan for about 20 minutes and the smell usually disappears. If you have a window in the kitchen try to keep it open while cooking too as that helps too.

Pink
  • randomtask_2
    randomtask_2 Posts: 535 Forumite
    Options
    What fish(es) are you cooking?

Was always under the impression that good quality fresh fish didn't give off the 'fishy' odour?

Anyway, my dad's tip is to cook it with ginger (I know it's not always possible or suited to the recipe), since that's great at masking the smell of various meats, not just fish.
    "Who throws a shoe, honestly?"
    :rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    try wrapping in foil parcels and baking in the oven

re the lingering small try lighting a candle or I might run a goodsphere for a couple of hours

if frying then the splashes get everywhere, cooker hood, walls etc so I wipe with stardrops. Hence me using foil most of the time, much easier
  • Chocmonster7
    Chocmonster7 Posts: 2,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I find that leaving a bowl of white vinegar in the room gets rid of a lot of smells.
  • Vashti
    Vashti Posts: 174 Forumite
    Options
    If poss, steam your fish in the micro. No smell at all. baked fish will not smell either. I've found fried fish smell will always cling.

I simmer a pan of boiling water with a tablespoon of coffee in it after I have cooked anything strong smelling, or put some coffee powder or granules under the grill. It gives off a lovely smell!
  • bubblebathgirl
    Options
    I cooked cod - loin tonight with door open no fishy smells to contend with(simple but effective:o )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure