Company Credit Card

My boss recently suggested I should have a company credit card - I'm guessing Amex as that is what he uses. I phoned Amex to ask what kind of credit check they will do and they said having BR on credit file wouldn't matter as the company would be liable for the account. Has anyone had any problems getting a company card, did your employer find out about your BR?

My current employer doesn't know about my BR and I am scared he will find out. Telling him myself is NOT an option. I am in a position to pay my expenses myself and claim them back each month but he may press me to get a card and I just need to be certain before they apply for it.
:o

:j :j

Comments

• As far as I am aware they credit check the company not the individual who is having a company credit card.

I have a company credit card already and wondered about this as we are currently saving for bankruptcy, and my boss checked this out and said I would still be able to continue to use it.
  • fiveyearplan
    fiveyearplan Posts: 10,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Churchill. I just need to make sure my boss doesn't find out about my BR. It was 4.5 years ago, so close to it falling off my credit file!

• BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks Churchill. I just need to make sure my boss doesn't find out about my BR. It was 4.5 years ago, so close to it falling off my credit file!

Are you sure its a credit card rather than a charge card?

Are you sure its a corporate card issued against your company with your name on it (so they settle the account rather than pay you expenses) or is it a corporate card that you are responsible for paying ?

I ask because the check on you will probably be different depending on where the risk of the account not being settled lies?
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • Hi BobQ

(I don't know how to quote people's comments - sorry)

Mine is a company credit card, with my name on it but the company pay it off in full on a monthly basis. So the onus will be on the company to make the payments and not myself.

All expenditure on the card is checked monthly by another member of staff for all the card holders to ensure that the items purchased are all work related.

I should imagine that it would be fine for fiveyearplan to be issued a credit card through work as it would be the business being credit checked not the individual.

I do remember having to fill out a form asking me if I held any bank accounts with the bank (my company use Natwest), and I personally had not banked there.
  • fiveyearplan
    fiveyearplan Posts: 10,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My company is quite small although very credit worthy! They use amex and I have never had amex. I did ring amex and they said they wouldn't have to do a full credit check on me but they would do one for identification/money laundering purposes but that any information from that would not go to my company.

I'll update if/when we apply for one.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family