Hair colour dilemma

Options
I had longish thick highligted blonde hair, not white blonde but a slightly darker colour. My hairdresser was unable to do my hair for a while so I had to go elsewhere as my roots were really bad.

I went to someome who was off work so doing it as a homer. I asked for exactly the same as what I always get. After she washed it out and was brushing my hair it started coming out in clumps. I queried this as it has never happened before and she claimed it was perfectly normally. Got home and realised the colour was not down to the roots (looked like I had about 3 weeks regrowth) and it was a different colour from the rest of the hair and my hair was really thin and it looked fake and horrible.

Managed to get hold of my normal hairdresser who took one look at it and said that she has put far too strong a solution on my hair, the foils had slipped and it hadnt been done right and its now basically ruined. She doesnt want to touch it as she is too scared it just snaps.

I contacted the first hairdresser to say and got a rude reply back saying I better not be implying anything as she has x amount of years experience and knows what she is doing!

Basically what im wanting to ask is would I be able to put a semi permanent on it, like a dark ash blonde/light brown? I have curly hair so have been told by a few people that any colour put on top of my damaged hair would not take. I have no other ideas on how I could break up the colour?

I absolutely hate it. My normal hairdresser has said that she will try and match the roots but at the moment that is all she is willing to do but I have a big event in 7 weeks and want my hair to look alright

Hope this rambling post makes sense x

Comments

• mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I'd leave it as long as possible and try and get it in as good a condition as is possible before you do anything else with it. Put up with the colour for a few weeks and get your hairdresser to fix it nearer your big day.

Lots of conditioning needed by the sound of it.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • jen007
    jen007 Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    First off do not put another dye in your hair, you need to get it back to a good condition.

A shampoo that my own hairdresser recommends to strip dye is Alberto Balsam Green Apple and use a deep conditioning treatment or a hot oil treatment on your hair.
    I've previously dyed my hair to the point where it was in really bad condition (teenage days of being silly and dying my ginger hair black and bleaching then putting a blue/pink/ect in it).
    You can also use fairy liquid to strip dye but I feel this leaves your hair quite dry but it does work, the shampooing option does take about 3-4 weeks but it's worth it when you get your healthy hair back

Another BRILLIANT product for hair that's became thin and brittle is Redken Anti Snap.(It's in a blue bottle, costs about £10) Like you, I was unable to see my own stylist and saw a different girl. She thinned my hair so much that it just lost all it's health and when I saw my own stylist again she recommended the Redken. It worked wonders and you only use a tiny amount so it can last you up to 3 months.
    I love it so much I use it in my weekly conditioning routines, I find I have less split ends with it. :)
  • Saint_Chris
    Options
    If your hairdresser won't touch if, for fear of it falling out, being weak etc

I wouldn't because if the semi-permanent goes wrong, your in a much worse situation then when you started.

I don't know the answer, as i'm not a professional, but i would take the advice of one, (after many years of crying at night with disaterous home colouring experiences)
  • Hughjass
    Options
    Personally I would buy some clip in hair extensions or a 3/4 piece and use that while getting my own hair back in condition and sorted out, you dont need to have hair pain these days:)

I have used the site below before, the products are good quality and good prices, you can call them and talk to them too.
    http://www.annabelleswigs.co.uk/

Although I havent used the Redken product mentioned above I can certainly recommend the brand, using thier products has made me love my hair:)
    All power is from within and therefore under our control
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 September 2012 at 5:15PM
    Options
    Brown over blonde can get a green tinge because you have lost all the natural red tones in your hair. :( Anything that strips dye will open the cuticle and weaken the hair, don't go there. Use a strengthening system containing hydrolysed protein and be super gentle with your hair when it's wet, don't brush or comb or stretch in a towel turban. Definitely no heat styling, just air dry, consider a silk or satin pillowcase.

You could actually take this hairdresser to court.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport