PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Lamb or Pork??

Options
Hi all,

I am unsure what to cook for Easter Sunday dinner. I have narrowed it down to between Roast Lamb or Pork... Problem is, I have never cooked either - I usually cook Chicken/Beef. Is one easier to cook than the other and which joint should I go for?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Ta,

Sarah x

Comments

• smitty2702
    smitty2702 Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh I love a leg of lamb, I bung it in my slow cooker and leave it all day, get my veggies pre-prepared and potatoes thus leaving me the day to spend time with the kids and just serve it with minty mash and mixed veg. its not a fancy dinner like others do at easter but for me it works!!

Claire
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to be traditional, then it's roast lamb for Easter (spring lamb!). :D

Both are as simple to cook as the other. The only difference is in the cooking times.

I don't work in metric, but for Lamb it's 20-25 mins per lb plus 20mins extra and for pork it's 25-30 mins per lb plus 25 mins extra.

With lamb I like to rub the skin with a garlic clove and sprinkle on some rosemary.

Ideal cuts of Lamb would be:-
    whole or half leg
    Whole or half shoulder

Pork:-
    whole or half leg
    whole or half shoulder

Do try to consider how you will use up any left overs too. If you go for lamb on the bone, you can use the bone to make stock with.

Both meats are quite greasy/fatty so consider saving the dripping (the white fat) and using the meat juices for the gravy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Three_Dancing_Dragons
    Options
    Don't have recipe, but remember description of lamb cooked in half a glass of port in a barely warm oven for several hours that sounded like it would transfer to a slow cooker.
    If you think reality makes sense, you're just not paying attention!
  • littlekitten
    Options
    I'd go for lamb ... (but I'm biased as Idon't eat pork)

But as even I've managed to roast a half shoulder of lamb successfully (and it was even edible!!!!) it really is quite easy. I just cleanned it, basted with a little olive oil and bunged it in the oven .. after about an hour I put some foil over the top so it wouldn't dry out.

You might also want to offer some mint sauce when you serve it as thats delicious with lamb

xx
    Good Enough Club member number 22
  • jovichick123
    Options
    Thanks all,

Lamb it is then! If I get a half shoulder, will this be enough for three hungry mouths with some left over for saving? I am thinking of making Irish Stew on Mon so will need enough for this...

Thanks again,

Sarah xx
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Depends on the weight of that half shoulder, Sarah. If it's bone in (which it probably is) then you need to allow 8-12oz per person.

If it's been boned then you allow 6-8oz per person. Always handy to know when you are gauging what size joint to buy. HTH :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Queenie wrote: »
    If you want to be traditional, then it's roast lamb for Easter (spring lamb!). :D

Agreed - but only if you can find genuine Spring lamb :(

Most people will buy from a supermarket and get NZ lamb which is months old :mad:
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oooooo yes lamb.....:D .. i love lamb.........

but its got to be welsh/british......none of the new zealand stuff.....

as imo.. its one of the naturally reared meat there is.....

no barn reared or forced feed..... or intensively farmed..
    .( like a lot of pork you get in supermarkets etc)

but we have got beef for this weekend......as thats what i got in the freezer.....
    Work to live= not live to work
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family