The "Poundland Style" non Bargains

CurlygirlCurlygirl Forumite
7 Posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Following the recent TV programme about Poundland's so called bargains which were shown to be dearer than supermarkets because pack sizes were less in weight but looked the same, I thought people should know that the main supermarkets are playing the same game. I've noticed today that Asda are selling Galaxy bars (125g) for £1 and Sainsbury's are also selling their Galaxy bars (114g) for £1. To look at they appear identical but the price per 100g is very different. I wonder how many other goods are being portrayed in the same underhanded way. It seems we've all got to be even more vigilant when price watching and the only way to be sure is to go on the unit price. I know a lot of people don't have time to, but I check prices online before going to the supermarket, and it's surprising how much I can save by splitting my shopping between the two main local supermarkets.

Replies

• EdwardiaEdwardia Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Winalot is 2 tins for £1 in my local Poundland therefore 6 cans are £3. Both Tesco and Ocado do 6 packs for £3 so buying at Poundland saves nothing.
  • MiddyMiddy
    5.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Painkillers. Apart from PL breaking the law of selling 3 packs to customers - the law is a max of 2 packs(the law regarding on the shelf medication), they are a rip off. I can get 32 paracetamols for 40p. In PL, with the law breaking policy, its 48 for £1.

PL sell multipacks of chocolate bars like Cadburys Crunchie, Mars etc in packs of 3. The supermarkets have offers for a few weeks where you can buy packs of 4 for £1.
  • TrazyTrazy Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Asda Paracetamol are 15p for a box of 16
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything. - Mark Twain
    Nappies and government ministers need to be changed frequently and for the same reason
  • Middy wrote: »
    Painkillers. Apart from PL breaking the law of selling 3 packs to customers - the law is a max of 2 packs(the law regarding on the shelf medication), they are a rip off. I can get 32 paracetamols for 40p. In PL, with the law breaking policy, its 48 for £1.

I was under the impression that packs must not contain more than 16 and that the regulations were 6 packs. Then that larger pharmacies decided on 2 packs due to more being a lethal dose. Hence poundland not breaking the law, but being slightly irresponsible at worst.
  • MiddyMiddy
    5.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was under the impression that packs must not contain more than 16 and that the regulations were 6 packs. Then that larger pharmacies decided on 2 packs due to more being a lethal dose. Hence poundland not breaking the law, but being slightly irresponsible at worst.

I have seen PL selling packs of 16 in each box. But some £ shops get around it buy selling tablets in packs of 8 and that is even more of a rip off as you are getting 24 tablets for £1 and Asda are getting 32 for 30p.
    I have seen PL selling packs of 16 in each box. But some £ shops get around it buy selling tablets in packs of 8 and that is even more of a rip off as you are getting 24 tablets for £1 and Asda are getting 32 for 30p.

Sorry, I am lost.

You may buy up to 6 packs of 16 tablets, 96 tablets in a transaction.
    Main pharmacies like Boots have a self imposed limit of 32 tablets.
    Poundland sell 16 tablets, 3 for £1, so 48.
    I've bought £2 worth or 96 tablets in one transaction myself.
    There is no law being broken?

Just more expensive tablets.
  • MiddyMiddy
    5.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I am lost.

You may buy up to 6 packs of 16 tablets, 96 tablets in a transaction.
    Main pharmacies like Boots have a self imposed limit of 32 tablets.
    Poundland sell 16 tablets, 3 for £1, so 48.
    I've bought £2 worth or 96 tablets in one transaction myself.
    There is no law being broken?

Just more expensive tablets.

Here you go.
    http://www.pharmweb.net/pwmirror/pwy/paracetamol/pharmwebpic3.html

"When sold in pharmacies pack sizes are limited to a maximum of 32 tablets, and in shops other than pharmacies pack sizes are limited to a maximum of 16 tablets. Multiple packs can be purchased provided the total does not exceed 100 tablets. For quantities of more than 100 tablets a doctor's prescription is necessary. These limitations do not apply to products in the form of liquids, effervescent tablets or powders.

In addition to these statutory requirements, the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain (RPSGB) has advised pharmacists that they should restrict sales of paracetamol to one pack of 32 tablets per sale unless there are 'justifiable circumstances' for selling more than one pack. The RPSGB has not defined what constitutes 'justifiable circumstances'.

Okay, so Paragraph one, 16 per pack and no more than 100 tablets. Poundland sells within these requirements.

Paragraph 2, advice.

Poundland are therefore not breaking any laws.
  • geordie_joegeordie_joe Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Middy wrote: »
    Painkillers. Apart from PL breaking the law of selling 3 packs to customers - the law is a max of 2 packs(the law regarding on the shelf medication),

The link you posted later says they can sell multiple packs as long as the total number of tablets is not more than 100.

So PL are not breaking the law.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News