We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Council tax question

Sorry if this in the wrong place, but have a question.

I'm in Scotland, and council tax is up to date, but I've been very late paying on 3 occassions (4 weeks), and 7 days late on the other.

On 7th this month I paid Septembers, which bought me up to date. (I've been up to date the others months except April and June, where I paid double in May and July).

Anyway. Account up to date 7th September. (460.00 left to pay Oct-Jan)
25th September I get a letter telling me I owe 506.00 in full which includes the 10% statutory amount.

I rang them, arrangement made for a debt that's not due yet (which was a new one for me), and now have to pay on the 1st of Oct-jan (same as before).

They told me my late payment messed up the dates - have never been charged for messing up the dates before and wondered on the legalities of this as account was upto date two weeks before the letter was printed.

Should mention I said I'd send a mandate in but changed my nind (we're on four weekly pay)

Can they charge me £46 for not making an up to date arrangement (ie. bank payments instead of mandate), while being up to date?

Thank you. Because I'm confused.
Payment a day challenge: £236.69
Jan Shopping Challenge: £202.09/£250
Frugal Living Challenge: £534.64/15000

Comments

• I have received a summary warrant for Council Tax and there is an extra 10% charge. What is this for?
    This 10% extra on your council tax bill is a statutory charge incurred due to late or non-payment of your bill. It is added to help cover administration costs

Thats from a Scottish Council website, http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3870

looks like they can charge if late with payments, Id check with your local council website tho to see if is stated across the board for all
    On the road to financial freedom.... one MSE penny at a time....:T
  • Well I rang them and told me to take me to court for the £46 anyway, but I have sent a nice email (I'm calm now), explaining I was unaware the last call was an official arrangement (because I wasn't), so will see.

I'll pay it if I have to, but in one go at the start because it'll mess up the figures of the arrangement, but I'll still be up to date.

Madness. Have never made an arrangement for an account NOT in arrears or even due until 1st October. Ho hum.

Thanks for your advice, I'm taking a look at the link. I just wish they could do four weekly direct debits, it would solve me forgetting.
  • I have received a summary warrant for Council Tax arrears. Why?
    You will have received a summary warrant for Council Tax arrears if you have failed to pay in accordance with the Final Notice issued previously.

This is the point I'm arguing. I wasn't informed to pay the full amount :) and he said they'd check the call so fingers crossed.
  • This is the point I'm arguing. I wasn't informed to pay the full amount
    25th September I get a letter telling me I owe 506.00 in full which includes the 10% statutory amount.

Sorry I thought that meant you had received letter to say payment was due in full ??
    On the road to financial freedom.... one MSE penny at a time....:T
  • I did, but wasn't in arrears at all at the time it was raised.
  • I haven't been in arraers for over six months, this months was paid already, I had to make an arrangemt today to pay for monies not yet due.
  • Sorry, that should say six weeks, not months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.