PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Alfalfa seeds

Options
I think this is probably the best place to post this :)
I've recently got back into sprouting seeds (mainly alfalfa and mung beans) but I've been shocked at how much alfalfa seeds have gone up in price now they are a bit 'trendy'. I remember getting a bag of about 4oz for about £1, now it seems to be more than that for a stingy little 40g bag.
Does anyone know a good supplier for decent quantities of alfalfa?
Thanks
Sharra
xx

Comments

• bigpaws23
    bigpaws23 Posts: 455 Forumite
    Options
    Do you know anyone who runs a wholefood co-op? They work out MUCH cheaper through someone like Suma.
    I don't have my catalogue handy, but it's something like £1.15 for 125g and even more savings if you buy in bulk.
    It might even be worth setting one up with a few friends if this is the sort of food you buy on a regular basis

bigpaws x
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    Sharra, I know what you mean, my local health food shop has them in silly little quantities at silly big prices :mad:
    I used to run a wholefoods co-op so I know how cheaply you can buy & baulk at paying over the odds

anyway, I found that if I asked at the counter, they'd order seeds in bulk, for instance 1Kg of poppy seeds for £3-odds, instead of £1.25 for a 50g tin!
    can't remember how much for alfalfa (my favourite sprout) old age catching up I'm afraid :o but it might be worth asking if your store can order some larger quantities for you

good luck :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family