PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Dishwasher salt.... Anything else ??

Options
Hi guys

just a quickie:rolleyes:

Do you NEED diswasher salt in your machine or could i use something else like soda crystals or normal cheap salt ?????

Comments

• Lil_Dee_2
    Lil_Dee_2 Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    Callumpster, I can't answer your question in its entirety - but I can tell you something for absolute certainty....

DON'T USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN DISHWASHER SALT IN YOUR DISHWASHER SALT CONTAINER!!!!

I don't know the ins and outs, but if you take a look over at the following website, I'm sure there'll be someone who already asked the question if you do a search : http://www.ukwhitegoods.com/

As for if you really need dishwasher salt, it depends on how soft/hard the water is in your area, and how you treat your dishwasher. I live in a soft water area, and having spoken to the repair man (I had teething porblems) about it, he advised that I was OK to go without, but recommended that I do occassionally put some in as it helps clean the lines, apparently.

Hope this helps. LD
  • nickyhutch
    nickyhutch Posts: 7,596 Forumite
    Options
    Not being funny, but is it not less than a quid for a huge bag that lasts for ages?
    ******** Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity *******
    "Always be calm and polite, and have the materials to make a bomb"
  • saving-grace
    saving-grace Posts: 284 Forumite
    Options
    nickyhutch wrote: »
    Not being funny, but is it not less than a quid for a huge bag that lasts for ages?

I'm still using the same box that I bought in 1992 when we got our dishwasher (£1.25 from Presto)!
    But we do have very soft water.
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    I buy a big bag-about 15 kg from the hardware store as Im in a hardwater area. Works out at half the price. If you are using 3 in 1 tablets though, you shouldn't need it.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport