PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest way to buy chicken

Options
13»

Comments

• bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My dd had milk and soya protein intol too, but has just turned two. As predicted by the dietician she seems to have outgrown it and can now manage dairy products without ill effect.

So there might be hope on the horizon! Reading all those labels was a nightmare, shopping is a lot easier now. DD had fortified oat milk as her main drink once she turned 1, much more palatable than the formula...
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • bargainbetty
    Options
    Do you have any Asian wholesalers near you? I go to Wing Yip and buy a box of chicken breasts, and then split them with my mum and sister-in-law. Huge amounts of meat for about half the price of the supermarkets. I also get sauces, noodles, rice and veg there, so one trip can make sufficient savings to justify the transport costs.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • camNolliesMUMMY
    camNolliesMUMMY Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 September 2012 at 5:40PM
    Options
    I'd also add asian/ethnic markets too your list as a good well priced place to go.
    Yesterday I bought 2 kg of chicken breasts for £8 and they were huge so sliced them down the middle and froze in separate bags.
    I also bought 2kg of boneless chicken thighs £6
    And minced chicken 1kg £3.75

This will last us a month at a total of £17.75 for it all.
    Hope this helps.

Ps veggies are also cheap I bought three huge bunches of spring onions 99p
    Large Sack of onions £2.80
    Fresh spinach 5 big bunches for 99p
    As well as fresh herbs
    Peppers
    Two massive iceberg lettuces 99p
    Three large cucumbers 99p
    Very good value for money :)
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5:j
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8 :j
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol
    :rotfl::j
    Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270
  • ginger_tony
    Options
    I also buy whole chickens fro aldi as these are cheap and have a lot of meat on them l can feed my family(7 of us) but recently ive been buying chicken thighs because i find they have more taste and are cheap and are great for curries ,soups and stir frys. I like morrisons ones as they are quite large. Lidls also do frozen chicken breasts on the bone you get about 8 for under a £5
  • hulahoop09
    Options
    Thanks! We have small asian shops but no where I know of that do that amount of meat for such a good price! That is amazing!!! We dont drive so may be harder to get to places further afield unfortunately.
    July 2013 wins: Lilac Skoot, Night out for 2 at Nandos & Cineworld
    Best wins so far: £500, GHD styler, Tassimo T40 Machine
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family