Transporting about one hundred people in London - better options than a double decker

Options
Hi there

I'm transporting about 100 people 2.5 miles from the ceremony to the venue in London. I got a quote from a red double decker bus company - it's £800!

Does anyone have any tips for moving people that's a bit cheaper but still pleasant? Don't really want to tell 100 people to use the tube...

Comments

• cathy_j87
    Options
    Have you had a google to find other companies? I know when I was looking at transport some had a basic cost which included a set number of miles and time so you could do a couple of round-trips.
    Alternatively if it's only 2.5 miles could they not just share taxis/lifts?
  • TheSeventh
    Options
    I have no idea how much it'd be, but maybe you could get a few quotes from bicycle rickshaw companies?
    It'd be a very very memorable journey, at least!
    Life on a shoestring!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £8 each isn't too bad ... only about double using a standard public service bus.

Make them walk....
  • CompBunny
    CompBunny Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Options
    £8 each isn't too bad ... only about double using a standard public service bus.

Make them walk....
    *images of women in their killer heels traipsing 2.5 miles across london* :rotfl::D
    GC2012: Nov £130.52/£125
    GC2011:Sept:£215
    Oct:£123.98Nov:£120Dec:£138Feb:£94.72

Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - £4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012:heart2:

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CompBunny wrote: »
    *images of women in their killer heels traipsing 2.5 miles across london* :rotfl::D
    They probably traipse further than that in their quest for shoes.
  • RainbowDrops
    Options
    Where in London is this?
    Try looking up coach companies. Red busses charge a premium for the novelty.
  • Dekazer
    Options
    I got some reasonably good quotes from coach companies when we were doing ours. IIRC BM Coaches was the one that I liked best - I think I also tried people like New Bharat and some others. I used Google to find them - there are lots around the Southall/Heathrow/Hayes area.

We decided on a routemaster in the end because i) it could carry more people and we could fit our entire party on one bus, whereas the coaches were only 52 seaters, ii) the novelty for the older Londoners and the out-of-towners, iii) they were able to provide champagne on the bus which we liked, iv) they weren't that much more expensive for our journeys.

Our Routemaster cost £600 for several hours and two separate journeys. There was a driver and conductor. We paid for the booze on top. We used ThisBus.com and I was very pleased with their service.

Hope that helps :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport