Wedding dress issues

Options
I found the dress but then stupidly started trying to find it cheaper. I have found it on ebay but apparently it's a darker shade of ivory than I tried on. I then found it on an ex-sample site but it's in "diamond white" which they have described as pale ivory but when I asked in a local dress shop to see an example of diamond white it looked quite a bright white to me!?

I have now found it on this site http://www.6tbuy.com/sophia-tolli-wedding-dresses-by-mon-cheri-bridal-gowns-style-y11112lizbeth_p3369.html and wondered if anyone has heard of it/used them??

I have also heard that it may be going into the sale in Nov/Dec in the original store I tried it on, but I am worried it will either not be in stock by then or it'll be too close to my wedding!? (Although it only needed a very small bit of alteration if I remember correctly!)

I'm very confused :S
Married my wonderful husband February 2013!:happyhear
I want to wear my beautiful wedding dress everyday- it would make shopping so much more fun, I mean, people go shopping in their pyjamas these days.......
Must STOP spending!!! :)
Proud to be dealing with my debts!
Beautiful Rainbow Babies born on 31/12/14 @2:45am and 7/6/2017 @12:44pm

Comments

• emylou
    emylou Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Married my wonderful husband February 2013!:happyhear
    I want to wear my beautiful wedding dress everyday- it would make shopping so much more fun, I mean, people go shopping in their pyjamas these days.......
    Must STOP spending!!! :)
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
    Beautiful Rainbow Babies born on 31/12/14 @2:45am and 7/6/2017 @12:44pm
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    You are looking at buying from a US site so anything you buy that is sent here will probably be subject to an import tax that you will need to pay to customs. This is usually paid to the carrier ie royal mail/UPS etc before the item can be delivered....I cant remember the exact prices but you can check I think through the HM customs website for an approximate figure but bear in mind you may also face a "handling charge" from the carrier to process your payment...ive seen some to be about £10...no a huge amount but if your working to a strict budget or saving it all adds up!

You also need to remember to order the correct size as US sizing is different to ours

Delivery will take longer possibly than standard US shipping so again you need to factor that in to when you need the dress to arrive by

Potentially you may even need to find an external seamstress to do any alterations that may be required...even if you think you only need minimal alteration you will need to find someone to do that for you as its unlikely that the dress shop will arrange the alteration of a gown that has been independantly imported.

All these things arn't insumountable but you do need to work out whether the potential saving is worthwhile rather than going to a shop and arranging the order through them
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    emylou wrote: »

If you look at this ones contact details they are in China....therefore youre going to get a copy dress that may or may not bear resemblance too closely to the pictures!!!
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • CompBunny
    CompBunny Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Options
    These are NOT recommendations from me personally as I don't have my wedding dress yet and haven't tried either of these shops myself...but if you are considering going the Chinese route I have heard good things about MillyBridal and DressilyMe on the weddingbee forum from members with over 500 posts so likely to be genuine. Both will recreate a dress if you send them a picture, they will give you a quote. However from what I have read you need to be very specific about what you want eg "The lace should be the same pattern as in the picture" or even better if you see lace that you like on one of their own designs "The lace material should be of the same design as in dress number 50143 on your website". Use plain english too to help with language barriers and ask for lots of updates. Also order at least 6 months before your wedding, and be aware that these sites are notorious for having poor customer service if you are unhappy with your dress ie unlikely to get a refund.

DressilyMe seems to be the one that most prefer. If you use a different chinese seller do your research and don't trust reviews unless they are on forums and say good and bad things, and preferably from a user with a reasonable post count!

Hope this helps.
    GC2012: Nov £130.52/£125
    GC2011:Sept:£215
    Oct:£123.98Nov:£120Dec:£138Feb:£94.72

Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - £4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012:heart2:

• Disney_Pluto
    Options
    As I've learned through trying on dresses just because you saw one diamond white dress doesn't mean another will be the same colour. If its described as pale ivory it probably is.

My dress is by Sophia Tolli too!

Never heard of these but then I didnt look online so can't help there.

Hope you find the one your after.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport