Got engaged this week when is too early...

Options
Woop woop!

Got engaged this week after 3 years of lovely living together. Planning for a 2014 wedding should finances allow.... when is too soon to start looking for your wedding dress????? :j
:kisses2::j:heart2:

Comments

• 41_and_i_know_it
    Options
    Woop woop!

Got engaged this week after 3 years of lovely living together. Planning for a 2014 wedding should finances allow.... when is too soon to start looking for your wedding dress????? :j

the fun is in the search for your dress and your wedding day, enjoy do what you want and don't let anyone ruin it for you xx

Tesco Credit Card £250 £25 DD 0% for next 10 months.

Barclaycard Initial £241.45 0% for next 7 mths.
    Your parents choose your beginning....
    .... you get to choose the ending.
  • cherylwantscake
    Options
    We are getting married around August 2014, just got engaged 3 weeks ago and I am looking at wedding dresses before we have even booked a venue lol. It's lots of fun!! x
  • Moomum
    Moomum Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    My sister in law got engaged at dinner and bought her dress online that night :-)
  • purple_button
    Options
    Congratulations!
    We got engaged back in July are planning a 2014 wedding too. I've resisted the urge to go dress shopping because I know I'll change my mind a lot before then! But if you have an idea of what you're looking for, then there's no harm in trying some on now!
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I found my perfect dress totally by accident 2 weeks after getting engaged in 2010 :) I finally paid for it in Feb this year after having a trial of it in April 2011
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • faithless
    Options
    Congratulations! There's certainly no harm in looking, but I wouldn't buy for a while in case you see something you like better - there's been a few brides on here with dilemmas where they've bought a dress and then found one they liked better!

Dresses sometimes take 6 months to be ordered, so most people seem to buy 6-9 months before the wedding.

If you're just itching to start doing wedding *stuff* (I know I was after getting engaged) I would start looking at wedding venues. It can take ages to find the perfect place, and when you know what type of venue you're having it can inform all your other choices - eg getting married outside or in a zoo, you might not want a dress with a train a mile long; venue doesn't allow candles, you don't buy a million of them on eBay!
  • faithless
    Options
    Ooh, also it's wedding fayre season in September, have a look online to see if there's any local to you. They're quite fun to amble around, you usually get a free glass of wine and some wedding magazines, and there's usually a load of local suppliers for flowers, cars etc.
  • Catherine12
    Options
    Awww thanks everyone for your input, i guess i could look slowly, and then in a year really start looking! I'm going to start looking at venues though, already have a few places in mind, and i know i'm going to get married at my Parich church! It's so exciting, it's just i've always dremaed of getting married, and now i'm engaged i have lot of ideas but wondering if i am rushing into everything. Im just going to enjoy it all, but will look at venues very soon. P.s this board is very good for hints and tips, so will keep avidly reading!!!
    :kisses2::j:heart2:
  • puffinmuffin
    Options
    There's no harm in looking and getting an idea of what styles you like. When i first started looking i thought i didn't want a long train but then we picked a venue with an amazing staircase. I had to have those pics with my train flowing down the stairs!
    we have love enough to light the streets.
  • laura8417
    Options
    There is definately no harm in looking, getting ideas and stuff. The first time I went to look at dresses I didn't know what I was looking at and felt totally out of my depth. Luckily the shop I went to was prepared for that and they were more than helpful, I think I spent 2 hours in there in total trying on so many dresses. I then felt awful going to another shop and finding the one I want... but it's got a deposit on it now and every day I look at the picture and confirm it is actually the one I want.

Good luck in your search!!!
    :heart:I Miss You Dad 1948 - 2016 :heart:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family