E bay or Amazon for selling?

Options
Which do you think is best...e bay or Amazon for selling things like books? Have used both but thought Amazon seemed a bit pricier than flea-bay for sellers fees? Not talking loads of money here, just selling off study guides for GCSEs etc not required any more

Comments

• breadlinebetty
    Options
    Aamazon is better IMO. Ebay charges whopping fees and the competition is fierce from other sellers.........
  • shmeeko69
    Options
    phebe3 wrote: »
    Which do you think is best...e bay or Amazon for selling things like books? Have used both but thought Amazon seemed a bit pricier than flea-bay for sellers fees? Not talking loads of money here, just selling off study guides for GCSEs etc not required any more

Ebay gives you a better opportunity to sell an item quicker, but the price you get and the fees you pay can be a real headache. Amazon is better if you want the best price and is a more professional company to deal with.

Mark :)
    Lao Tzu - "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime"

Derek Bok - "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"
  • michelle1506
    Options
    Go with Amazon. Much better class of customer to be found. Ebay's fees are much too high, and there are way too many people on there who don't receive the items etc.

Never buy off Ebay these days, only Amazon...
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,312 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not sure why people think eBay are dearer that amazon for fees, I would suggest you check both out before listing as you may be in for a shock.

Personally I check both sites and work out the net proceeds and then decide where to list.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • kelfen
    kelfen Posts: 281 Forumite
    Options
    I sell on both, it's usually dependent on whether I need to get rid to make space (so, eBay if I'm not too bothered about price) or, if I don't mind the wait and it's more valuable, I'll go on Amazon
    * Jan NSD *
    *Debt total £86.78.82*
    *Debts left to pay: 10 *

*Weight Loss: I was: 210lbs ...NOW: 196 lbs *
  • phebe3
    phebe3 Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have to say I do buy and sell on e-bay still and my buying has been mostly trouble free..and if I have had trouble e-bay/pay pal have sorted. However, prices are high I think for selling, bu I thought Amazons were too? Have quite a few music books (flute/trumpet etc) and exam text books to sell (A Level eng etc) and wasn't sure where to list them for best.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Please be aware that if you decide to sell on both sites that Amazon will suspend your account if you sell the same product for a different price on eBay (or indeed, any online channel). S make sure if you sell via Amazon and other online sites like Etsy, eBid, Ebay etc, that you use a different ID and email address on Amazon to that used elsewhere. This prevents Amazon tracing your other outlets and checking to see that you are price-matching.

Amazon have implemented this in an attempt to stop drop-shipping by eBay sellers who then 'buy the item from Amazon, giving their eBay buyers address as the Amazon delivery address and pocketing the difference in costs'.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Green Metropolis might be another option? You get £3 per book sold, and you can then either cash the money in or use it to buy books on GM.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure