Didn't pay train fare!!!!

Options

Comments

• Zanzibar
    Options

Here is Trickys handy guide to buying a train ticket:
    Next time you get on the train, watch for where the guard is hanging out the door watching the passengers alight. Make a mental note if he/she is to your left or right. Get on the train and go in that direction until you find them. Buy a ticket.

If its any consolation, years ago me and a mate used to jump on the train to get from one side of town to the other. The journey was so short half the time the guard used to tell us not to worry as it was only something like 70p in the evening at the weekend so technically I've fare dodged (with permission) on several occassions!

Next time don't collude to defraud the train company and its users. You should be ashamed and disgusted with yourself.

Heres a handy guide for you. Don't listen to people that help you evade fares even if they work for the train company - they are abusing their job. Find another guard and inform them of the practice and pay your way like you should have. If not look left and right and you will find a policeman on the street to assist you.

Your wrong doing is obviously still with you - and I suggest you make amends now - its never to late to pay reparations for your errant behavior. You know you did wrong so pay for it.
  • NeverEnough
    Options
    Gosh its not as if the OP got on the train intending to fare dodge, which is what your posts seem to infer Trickywicky, surely there is no need to adopt such a holier-than-thou attitude? OP indicated they never travelled by train, so had no idea about procedures etc and the station they used had no ticket office and no ticket machine, so charging around a crowded train searching for a conductor in the short journey was probably mot something they were expecting. Train companies could make it a bit easier to pay, as well. Not everyone knows exactly what procedures are followed especially as a first time user! The spiteful judgemental comments really are not necessary!
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    toffeentom wrote: »
    I travelled on the train to work today for the first time ever (only because there is no train station where I live - nothing against train travel). I took my car for an MOT to a garage next to an unmanned train station with no ticket machine and I was travelling about 3 miles to the end of the line. I've only ever travelled a few times on a train from a main station when I have either purchased the ticket on line or at the station.

Anyway my son said that a conductor would collect my fare on the train. I got on - money in hand - but no conductor. We stopped at one station. Still no conductor and then we reached the end of the line. I disembarked and no conductor and no-one to pay and no turnstile to get out.

I know it was only 90p but I felt dreadful. I absolutely instill into my two children not to be dishonest in any way whatsoever and I even gave a lecture about avoiding train fares only that week (not that they would!) as both were catching a train themselves. And there I was - fare dodging!

Now I may have to take my car in again. What should I have done?
    90p?! The guard would probably be too amused to bother to sell you a ticket if you sought him out.
    whitewing wrote: »
    I have to say that I wouldn't have known conductors are always on the train. After all, you don't tend to see bus conductors any more (in our area) and they stem from the same era.
    Not sure what trains you've been on but all the ones I've ever been on have had them...
  • TrickyWicky
    Options
    Zanzibar wrote: »
    Next time don't collude to defraud the train company and its users. You should be ashamed and disgusted with yourself.

Heres a handy guide for you. Don't listen to people that help you evade fares even if they work for the train company - they are abusing their job. Find another guard and inform them of the practice and pay your way like you should have. If not look left and right and you will find a policeman on the street to assist you.

Your wrong doing is obviously still with you - and I suggest you make amends now - its never to late to pay reparations for your errant behavior. You know you did wrong so pay for it.

Get a grip mate. The station we used to get off at had ticket inspectors waiting at the other end. The guards used to shout down to them "let them through they only got on at the last platform" as he followed us down (the train terminated there). I always volunteered to pay the fair and on many occassions they took it however there were times when they simply didn't want it.

If the train company and its representatives wish to allow passengers a free journey as a gesture of good will then that is down to them. For all you or I know that may well be their official policy to avoid alchohol related abuse at the weekends.

Seriously though, when was the last time you saw a policeman at a train station or on the street? :rotfl: If a TOC refuses to take your fare do you really think the police will be interested?

:rotfl:
  • dggar
    dggar Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    whitewing wrote: »
    I have to say that I wouldn't have known conductors are always on the train. After all, you don't tend to see bus conductors any more (in our area) and they stem from the same era.

Unless you live where Driver Only Operated trains run, the terms Guard, Conductor, Train Manager are prettywell interchangable.
    Such a person will operating the doors and will also check tickets and sell tickets.

(before anyone asks you do not pay the the driver on Driver Only Operated trains )
  • TrickyWicky
    Options
    rev_henry wrote: »
    90p?! The guard would probably be too amused to bother to sell you a ticket if you sought him out.

It was common 10 years ago for them not to bother. As mentioned above I frequently used to be told by the guards not to bother and they'd then get you through the ticket inspectors at the terminating station.
    rev_henry wrote: »
    Not sure what trains you've been on but all the ones I've ever been on have had them...

They all have guards now but back in the BR days it was common for there to be no guard in the evening and the train driver would simply stick his head out of the window and look back - shouting at people to slam the door if they left it open. You'd always get the odd kid that would let it and make the poor bloke walk down the platform to slam it :rotfl:
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dggar wrote: »
    (before anyone asks you do not pay the the driver on Driver Only Operated trains )

:rotfl: Maybe the Northern Rail cheapskates could introduce that on Sprinters. They were based on buses after all!
  • TrickyWicky
    Options
    which is what your posts seem to infer Trickywicky, surely there is no need to adopt such a holier-than-thou attitude? ... The spiteful judgemental comments really are not necessary!

My first reply was in a semi joking mood. The next thing I know the op is saying they could of taken offence at my remark if they were disabled. Ok point taken but I was not trying to offend anyone with my first post, I was simply being a bit on the silly side.

Next thing I know the op is commenting about it being all serious. If thats how the op wants it then thats how I will reply. Again as i said to the op earlier, I meant no offence and just said it how I saw it. I said nothing in spite.

If anyone genuinely believes that I was being nasty then I apologise however I would like to reassure you all that I genuinely was not intending any malice to anyone.
  • bb21
    bb21 Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    I know it was only 90p but I felt dreadful. I absolutely instill into my two children not to be dishonest in any way whatsoever and I even gave a lecture about avoiding train fares only that week (not that they would!) as both were catching a train themselves. And there I was - fare dodging!

Now I may have to take my car in again. What should I have done?

Before Boarding

If there is a TVM (Ticket-Vending Machine) at the origin, you should purchase a ticket before boarding, however if the TVM does not accept your method of payment (card only machine if you want to pay by cash, for example), it is considered that you have not had an opportunity to pay. If the machine takes cards only, you are not obliged to pay by card if you wish to pay by cash, even if you have cards with you, and vice versa.

If there is a Permit to Travel (PTT) machine, you need to insert as much in coins as you can up to the fare due, and the machine will issue a receipt. You can then exchange the receipt onboard or at the destination for the ticket by paying the balance. PTT machines take coins only so if you wish to pay by card then that is not an opportunity to pay.

If there is an open ticket office at the origin then obviously you need to pay there. If the ticket office is closed, then that is not an opportunity to pay either.

Onboard

If you had no opportunity to pay before boarding, you are not obliged to find the guard onboard. Contrary to what many people believe, this is not a requirement. Just take a seat and wait for the guard to come around. Indeed if you go off in search for the guard, this is considered very bad manners if you then jump in front of other paying passengers on some local lines.

After the Journey

If by the time you alight at the destination station, you have still not had an opportunity to pay, then you pay at the destination station if possible. If facilities are not available at the destination station, consider it your lucky day. You have done all you can and it is not your fault that the railway companies made no facilities available to you.

It is debatable if the only facility at the destination station is a TVM, whether you should purchase a ticket for the reverse direction. Previously contacts with some railway companies suggest yes, while others no. Bear in mind that the fare for the reverse direction could well be different. I believe that you do not have to purchase a ticket from the TVM at the destination as in most cases, it would not sell you a valid ticket for the journey you have undertaken.

At Interchange Station

If you have to change trains en route, you can make an effort to pay at the interchange station, however you are not obliged to miss your connecting service if the interchange time is short.

Finally

If you really feel bad afterwards, you can always ask the railway company to send you a bill for the remaining balance or send a cheque in.

I hope I have covered everything. :)
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thankfully I don't have a disability or I may have been offended by that remark!!! Easy to say if you travel by train every day. At least 30+ got on at the station and I didn't witness them in large numbers wandering around the train in search of a guard!
    Oh for goodness sake. I do have a disability but I'd never take offence at such a remark on a forum - its not as if they can see my walking stick!

A whole 30+ people getting on the train! A small station then, and probably a relatively short train (often 12 carriages at the station I use, with 30-40 people enteringn each carriage).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure