Can Council Tax Debt be written off??

Options
2»

Comments

• alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]
  • emsywoo123
    Options
    BigAunty wrote: »
    Andy - all the regulars can spot your posts a mile off and your incessant denials merely amuse us.

I thought Andy had "died?" ;)
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    emsywoo123 wrote: »
    I thought Andy had "died?" ;)

Well, his username did but his earthly presence did not which is why we get a succession of apparent newbies who talk identical mince...
  • Dear All,

Firstly, please forgive a newbie if I am in the wrong place, just desperate for some help. if possible!!

We have HUGE council tax arrears over the past 3-4 years and with only having temp work since being made redundant, paying this off is VERY slow.

Does anyone know, if, due to extreme hardship, council tax can be written off? We have several liability orders at present

Desperate for some help or guidance if anyone know anything?

Also battling with massive utility debts if anyone can give any ideas about these as well??

Many thanks in advance

Yours, losing lots of sleep

David

Check out this CAB information leaflet

www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/d_council_tax_arrears.pdf

It does actually state that at a commital hearing if you are in financial hardship or cannot pay for other reasons, you can ask the magistrates to [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]write off [/FONT][/FONT](remit) all or part of the debt.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on :)
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    challfour wrote: »
    Thank you. In my case the magistrates court ordered that the debt be remitted - I made it clear that there was no intention not to pay, it was simply that I could not.

Under what section of law it was I have no idea.

What's happened since it was 'remitted'?

Definition of remitted:

4. Law
    a. To refer (a case) to another court for further consideration or action.
    b. To refer (a matter) to a committee or authority for decision.

Remitted does not mean cancelled. It means it was sent back to the council.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure