We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

homecare new career questions and immunisation

Options
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it is legal requirement to have jabs before working in homecare? I noticed on an application form it said make sure you take proof of immunisation before the interview.

Also, does anyone have any feedback on this kind of work? I have always wanted to do homecare, but I am also a bit wary as I've read some horror stories about some agencies...

Thanks,
K

Comments

• 10yeargoals
    Options
    Hi I'm a homecarer in London and I've been doing it for about 14 months now. A few tips:

-If you live in London don't cross more than 2 fare zones to do your job you will be broke if you buy a travel card

-Homecare is a part time job at best. You will be out for full time for part time hours/pay there isn't much you can do about that

-This is a bit advanced but ask if your agency gets their referrals directly from social services. It means that they have a lot more jobs available than an agency that sub contracts or get private referrals. More available jobs means more money

-Dont travel between clients for longer than you are working at the clients. For example if you have to work at Mrs A house for 30 minutes but you have to travel for an hour then it isn't worth your time because in that time you could work with 2 clients closer to you which means more money

- If the travel cost is higher than the wage you will receive for working with the client then don't do it you will be spending money you technically don't have

- An agency that will pay you for travel between your clients even if you are using public transport is an agency you should hold on to

-Never pay for NVQ 2/Diploma level 2 training. By law at least 50% of all carers in an agency have to be trained to this level a decent agency will educate you to that level for free. If your agency says you have to pay another agency will defiantly do it for free

-Always put the needs of the client before your paycheck. What I mean is that if a client wants to be visited at 2pm and the next client wants to be visited at 2.30pm and you know you will be late to your next client constantly then drop the second client. Punctuality is key in this job and being constanly late to another client just because you want money is a bit selfish. (This is in my opinion though). I have seen many carers pack their schedule so tightly because they want an extra buck. The result is them rushing at clients houses, missing essential tasks, constantly being late and when rushing if they are physically caring for a client they throw the client around without a second thought for their feelings just so they can rush to their next job

-I know this should be a given but being polite and being thoughtful goes a long long way. I'm sorry to say I am at an agency with a lot of rude carers and being kind will have them singing your praises

-When caring don't do it expecting a reward. What I mean is that when you are caring do it for the sake of caring. If a client offers you money for doing a good job, refuse because not only is it likely that its against your company policy but also your already being paid. Remember you don't give to receive

-If a client is verbally or physically abusive drop them straight away. I don't care how much help some one needs no one should ever make you feel bad, especially if you are caring for them. And I speak from personal experience.

-If you have a smart phone use Google maps to help you to get to a client house. Your managers will appreciate not having to spend time telling you how to get from one place to another when they could be fielding calls for more urgent reasons

-If you live in London then 2 other essential apps are buscount, this app tells you how long it is till the next bus, and LT free which is a journey planner app. However along with buscount I use live London bus tracker because the GPS is atrocious on buscount. And I used to use a journey planner up called London journey I believe but it stopped working on my phone. I liked it because I could find bus stops more easily which is helpful for journey planner especially if you cant see a bus stop from where you are

-Libraries are your friend. You will be waiting for a long time between clients especially when you have first started and since I like books I go to the library. Even if you don't its a nice place to keep warm especially in the winter

- I personally I have my own supply of baby wipes, antibacterial wipes and small sandwich bags for disposing of waste. Having your own dettol bottle can be helpful as well. Hand cream is essential your hands will be in water a lot. Also i have my own supply of hand sanitiser.

-Personally I think its better to do your initial training in summer or in the beginning of summer because if you are new to the area then your likely to be waiting around at a bus stop and its better to be waiting around in the warm than in the cold

-NVQ 3/Diploma level 3 is a bit more iffy in terms of funding. Some places will make you pay and some others wont. The most I've seen is £1250 for the qualifications.

-NVQ 2 gets you into care homes from what I've seen but NVQ 3 will get you into a hospital.

-Always check your pay check against the hours you do. It wasn't strange for me to have money missing because the payroll people didn't add up my hours properly

-I was asked about immunization when I first started. I honestly said I couldn't remember my last set of jabs. I wasn't bothered by them again about it

I cant think of any more advice to give you. If you have any questions then don't hesitate to ask
  • gingerandrubarb
    gingerandrubarb Posts: 427 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 September 2012 at 11:37PM
    Options
    A lot of companies won't take you on unless you have had them (or are willing to get them done) due to the increased chance of contracting HIV or similar disorders. Even if you are clear of any illness your service users may not be. The injections are merely a precaution for both sides of the care fence.

This way if you do become ill or contract any illness through your work you cannot sue the company, (I work in care) x
    Blogger / Money Saver
    Make £2022 in 2022 Challenge - Accepted
  • rustywallet
    Options
    10yeargoals, thank you so much for the insight into care work. I actually live in a rural area - which means that most clients will be spread apart I guess, but at least there won't be any traffic jams or waiting for buses (there are none!).

You sound like a really dedicated carer, and a kind person, I hope you are valued and appreciated by the people you work and care for.

Thanks for your comments gingerandrhubarb I am worried about the jabs as it's something I don't want to do. I'll just have to think about it or ask before I apply.
  • pebble17
    Options
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it is legal requirement to have jabs before working in homecare? I noticed on an application form it said make sure you take proof of immunisation before the interview.

Yes you need to have been up to date with all childhood imms and also have proof of hep B immunity.
    Your GP will give you details of all imms you've had if you ask them to.
    Have you ever had a Hep B jab? Ask your GP and they will normally do it free of charge because it's related to a job. The homecare agency will also be able to give you details of private clinics who will vaccinate you for a fee if your GP won't.
  • pebble17
    Options
    I was asked about immunization when I first started. I honestly said I couldn't remember my last set of jabs. I wasn't bothered by them again about it
    It is a legal requirement for every agency to ensure their workers are up-to-date with immunisations. Your agency will get into a lot of trouble with the CQC for not adhering to this!

Just a note to the OP: Ensure the agency you sign up with is registered with the CQC. It ensures accountability for the agency and not cutting corners
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure