We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

I want to test electrical products - for free !

Options
Hello all,

I really would like to test gadgets - like music systems and stuff. I really don't mind if I get paid for it either.

Who better to ask if anyone knows of any companies than you guys.

Thanking you muchly.

Anne

Comments

• RadoJo
    RadoJo Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When you say 'test' do you mean consumer testing/reviewing (as opposed to PAT testing for example)?
  • ACB71
    Options
    Good point ! No not PAT testing - testing of gadgets for consumer reviews etc.
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're not going to find any companies that will send you freebies or pay you to write reviews because there's plenty of people that write reviews for free on sites such as Amazon. Also, reviews sponsored by the companies that make the products aren't likely to be viewed as unbiased which doesn't help the manufacturer or the consumer.

What you could do though is start your own blog or YouTube channel and just do reviews off your own back. You will of course have to pay for the products out of your own pocket. Eventually if your content is good enough you may get a lot of regular viewers, at which point you could invite companies to send you their products for free. You could also put adverts on your blog to generate revenue.

An site that does this already is TechMoan. You could have a look and copy what he does but you should note he often has to buy the products himself.
  • ACB71
    Options
    Ok thanks for that info.
    It was a look at Amazon that prompted me to ask. There are guys on there that have written reviews before the product actually goes on sale?

At least I know now.
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ACB71 wrote: »
    Ok thanks for that info.
    It was a look at Amazon that prompted me to ask. There are guys on there that have written reviews before the product actually goes on sale?

At least I know now.

Amazon might allow it but I think if someone writes a review after being given the product by the manufacturer then there's pressure to write a good review.

That in my view just destroys confidence in the review system if we can't trust the impartiality of it. We're already at that stage though in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure