Onwards to freedom!

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You made me check my own Net Worth, you made me, its not fair 🤣 To confess, I haven't checked how much the pension funds etc are worth at the moment, and all the ISAs are fixed, so not much to do there either 😎 but its not going badly, I'm very surprised.

I'm glad you've got a summer holiday booked in - always a good thing.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,528 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What a lovely milestone... I need to check mine at some point too...
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £183,754 Equity 26.5%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £5.8K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.5K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.2K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • SuperSecretSquirrel
    Options

Thanks for stopping by KC and SH 🙂

Won nothing on the PBs this month, first time that's happened since September 2022… I've been toying with the idea of cashing some out and stashing in a 4.5% savings account for a while (not too much as I want to keep my ISA S&S only and I don't want to get dragged into paying tax on savings interest). Holding off for now…

I remember thinking a while ago it would be nice to see our top three NW lines (house, pensions, S&S) in 6 figures. With a fair wind that might be possible by my January NW update. To help things along I've rejigged things a little and increased my monthly investment amount by £350.

A deal has been struck and a nearly new ex-demo family car will be parked on our drive by this time next week 🤩 We're just waiting on a few final checks and a valet etc before they deliver. Not really seen anything that we'd want to replace the old workhorse with. It's getting very long in the tooth, but the mileage is low, and we have no real complaints. Decided to get new brakes and tyres fitted to keep it safely on the road for now, and we'll just wait and see what the next (and maybe many more in the future, if we're lucky) MOT brings. I'm back to thinking that it can stick around for as long as it's not a money pit.

Spent a little more time and money on small diy jobs - an ongoing process making little improvements and fitting them in when time allows. We're going to have to bite the bullet soon and get one of the bigger jobs done. It's beyond our insourcing abilities, and needs doing. We have the money for it in the joint account (anticipating low to mid four figures) so just need to get on with it really, at least start getting some quotes in.

The terrible July weather has been, well, terrible… We're all hoping it picks up a bit in August. Feeling sorry for the children as the summer holidays have been really poor so far. Also feeling a little sorry for myself as I was hopeful for getting out and enjoying ourselves a bit more. We're doing what we can to make it as fun as possible, but playing on the beach would be so much better!

• Karmacat
    Options

Thanks for stopping by KC and SH 🙂

You're welcome.  Here I am again though 😁

I remember thinking a while ago it would be nice to see our top three NW lines (house, pensions, S&S) in 6 figures. With a fair wind that might be possible by my January NW update. To help things along I've rejigged things a little and increased my monthly investment amount by £350.

Wow!  That's amazing, that's a serious amount of money.

A deal has been struck and a nearly new ex-demo family car will be parked on our drive by this time next week 🤩 We're just waiting on a few final checks and a valet etc before they deliver. Not really seen anything that we'd want to replace the old workhorse with. It's getting very long in the tooth, but the mileage is low, and we have no real complaints. Decided to get new brakes and tyres fitted to keep it safely on the road for now, and we'll just wait and see what the next (and maybe many more in the future, if we're lucky) MOT brings. I'm back to thinking that it can stick around for as long as it's not a money pit.

To be honest, I'm a bit confused - you've got two vehicles now?  The nearly new ex-demo family and the old workhouse that you don't want to replace?  I notice motoring stuff now 😁 I'm just about to pay for my 2nd lot of lessons, and then I need to start looking for the right car for me.
  • SuperSecretSquirrel
    Options
    Hi KC, we've always had two cars. The better one is being replaced with a nicer newer one, the older one we're keeping hold of for a while longer 🙂 Might seem a bit backwards but it does make sense considering their respective uses.

I've been following your progress on your diary, good to see it's all been going well recently, and how exciting to be starting to shop around soon 😎
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Hiya!  How nice to think you're keeping in touch with my stuff :):):) yes, I'm definitely going to be an active driver.  Your car stuff makes sense to me - I followed the ins and outs of those sorts of decisions with my business partner, who had an old camper van that broke down, and a really reliable Beemer.  As well as his wife's car, which she let him drive sometimes 🤣  He got rid of the Beemer!  He loved it, but he loved the camper more :) 
  • savingholmes
    Options
    Hope the car replacement behaves itself.
    3) CC £5.8K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.5K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
  • savingholmes
    Options
    Love the mini prepper kit.

Sounds like you are doing well overall. Nice that you managed to recapture your 'zen' in relation to work.

And now I've got the 'bobbing along on the beautiful briney sea' song in my head
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure