9 year old debt

Options
I have recently received a letter from a debt collecting agency called Thames credit ltd for a debt incurred around 9yrs ago. It was for a credit card with Barclays Bank for £200. They have now bumped the debt up to £947!!!! wow! Obviously cant pay it and would be interested to know were I stand. I havent contacted the company or indeed any company regarding this debt for around 9years. It id not listed on my credit file either. Do I still have to pay it?
I would be grateful for any ideas.

Thanx Lizzy

Comments

• smashedbooboo
    smashedbooboo Posts: 4,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As long as you ahve not paid anything on it or written to anyone in that it is statute barred. There is a letter you can send but will have to let you kn ow which one it is tomorrow if thats ok. Dont worry about. And please do Not ring thames up at all. I will be back on the morning to help you on this. Had a couple of glasses of wine tonight so dont want to get my info mixed up at tghis point hun.
    Night Owl Member No 1 :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Night owl member of the threesome. Rules are for fools to follow and wise men to be guided by
    No Man is worth your tears,
    And the one who is wont make you cry !!!!!
  • newmum1
    newmum1 Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You could get a copy of you credit file and see what is on there that should give you more information.
  • BAILIFFCHASER
    Options
    This is statue barred once the last point of contact/payment is over 6years and one day over !!!!!!!!!!!!
    ONLY COPY WHAT I AM DOING IF YOU ARE 100% SURE AND YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THE END RESULT MAY BE. ALWAYS CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL BEFORE FOLLOWING MY ADVICE. I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED . IF WHAT I AM DOING HELPS YOU IN ANY WAY CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON
  • smashedbooboo
    smashedbooboo Posts: 4,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bailiffchaser. i do beleive its 6yrs and 1month. But please correct me if i am wrong. And sorry if i am.
    Night Owl Member No 1 :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Night owl member of the threesome. Rules are for fools to follow and wise men to be guided by
    No Man is worth your tears,
    And the one who is wont make you cry !!!!!
  • AGB863
    AGB863 Posts: 521 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    6 years and 1 day is also my understanding.

To the original poster - the debt collector can ask for the money - but that is all, there is no legal action that they can take against you to enforce payment.

Here is the link for the letter that you need to send to the collector - you would need to put your own details in it etc

www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/temp/1252_43731.pdf
    I am a debt counsellor working in the voluntary sector - we don't charge our clients for the work we do!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure