'A hidden way to boost Nationwide's rates' blog discussion

Options
Former_MSE_Helen
Former_MSE_Helen Posts: 2,382 Forumite
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Link above doesn't seem to work?
  • salad-bowl
    Options
    You may also want to take into consideration how you want to access the money. Nationwide offer internet access on most accounts like these, whereas Derbyshire and Cheshire tend to offer branch base or postal access. I like to bank and have access to my money immediately on the internet, so that sways my choices, as the rates are so similar.
  • dtsazza
    dtsazza Posts: 6,295 Forumite
    Options
    The access question is particularly relevant for accounts that must be opened in branch.

The Platinum Monthly Saver for example offers a good rate, but requires you to open and operate it in a Derbyshire BS branch. Unsurprisingly, they're all in Derbyshire (more or less), so it's not an option for people who don't live nearby - a Nationwide branch isn't a suitable substitute.
  • dave333
    Options
    Reply to Helen Gerald (posted on facebook part of article) - you can actually do both. Put £10k in your 3% saver and then transfer £250 to the 6% regular saver every month. You get interest of £300 (gross) per annum with the £10k in 3% only but £348.75 by using both - not massive money but every little counts!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure