Home Dying Plum (Purple) over Blonde tinted hair??

Options
Can't be bothered with the maintenance of blonde hair anymore so can I dye it plum with loreal or Live XXL ??? will it come out ok?
:jBaby Boy born December 2012 :heart:

Comments

• Mayflower10cat
    Options
    I suggest a strand test first! My guess is that the plum colour would come out far brighter on dyed blonde hair. When I was sick of spending a fortune on foil colour (two shades; 1 blondish and one a gold/ copper) I did a soft red semi-permanent over the top and it came out very bright on the blonde bits!
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 31 August 2012 at 7:23PM
    Options
    You can but a permanent dye may come out much darker than the box if your hair is very porous, or not take properly/ unevenly if the hair is damaged so definitely do a strand test. I used a Live XXL red for about eight years and it lasted the longest of any permanent box red, but I ended up with two tone hair from build up in the porous areas.

It would be healthier and more controllable to use a highly pigmented semi-permanent dye such as La Riche Directions. Loads of great advice on the hairdyeforum. I learned that these can actually last longer than some permanent colours if applied and cared for correctly, had my current shade for four months and it is still really rich. :D Semi permanent tends to come out brighter/ richer on bleached hair.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would also recommend a strand test. Depending on how light your blonde hair is, it could come out quite a bright plum-colour! Thats fine if that's what you're after, but if you want a darker colour you may need to pre-dye the blonde hair first.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    You can but a permanent dye may come out much darker than the box if your hair is very porous, or not take properly/ unevenly if the hair is damaged so definitely do a strand test. I used a Live XXL red for about eight years and it lasted the longest of any permanent box red, but I ended up with two tone hair from build up in the porous areas.

It would be healthier and more controllable to use a highly pigmented semi-permanent dye such as La Riche Directions. Loads of great advice on the hairdyeforum. I learned that these can actually last longer than some permanent colours if applied and cared for correctly, had my current shade for four months and it is still really rich. :D Semi permanent tends to come out brighter/ richer on bleached hair.
    I second la riche directions

I've used it before (in Plum) over blonde hair and to give you an idea of how it looks, it came out like this:

13zwolh.jpg
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    My dd tried several attempts at plums on bleached hair and the all came out looking like black with a hint. Same when she went to red. They all came out looking brassy, including the XXL ones. In the end, she went to Sally's and bought something that was a wee bit more expensive for her red. Turned out just as she wanted it. Not my cup of tea, but hey ho.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • dizsiebubba
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Just an update incase anybody else was looking to do the same thing and wonders how I got on...

I used two packs of the Live XXL one and it has come out perfect, exactly as shown on the front of the packet :)
    :jBaby Boy born December 2012 :heart:
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    Glad it worked for you, my dd's hair was too porous I guess. The red she has atm really suits her though, the plum made her look way too pale :D
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport