Tax on small works pension

Options
Hi, Ive just reached 65 and getting state pension topped up with pension credit. I paid into a works scheme, but my pension is very small, under £40 a month, I don`t have any proof of what I paid in and when it stopped. The first works pension was a part month payment as I it started mid month but had tax taken off, £3.60 out of £18.21, next month pension will be the full month £38 so assume tax will be £7, I just wondered if I should be paying tax. My state pension and pension credit comes to about £155 a week. I`m single by the way. Any advice welcome thanks. John.

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    they are taxing you at 20% (taxcode BR) which is the normal taxcode for some-one with another income that uses the tax free allowance

however for some-one 65 you have a tax free (age related) allowance of 10,500

I'm afraid I know nothing of pension credits but your total income seems to be less than 10,500

I would suggest you phone HMRC and explain the situation
  • john_vgu
    Options
    Thanks for replies, no I haven`t filled in a p161. They sent me a p45 to hand to my next employer which seems odd when I`m 65. Total income would be well under £10,000 so I`ll contact them and see what they say.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    john_vgu wrote: »
    Thanks for replies, no I haven`t filled in a p161. They sent me a p45 to hand to my next employer which seems odd when I`m 65.

The P45 should have been given to your pension provider and you wouldn't have been taxed.
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pension Credit is not taxable so you don't need to declare that part of it.
  • john_vgu
    Options
    Thanks, didn`t know about the p45. I`ll post it off to them.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    john_vgu wrote: »
    Thanks, didn`t know about the p45. I`ll post it off to them.

Don't send them your copy.

Just because you are 65 doesn't automatically mean you aren't working.
  • katecheshire
    Options
    HMRC will allocate enough of your tax code to your pension provider so that you don't have to pay tax on it. If you have paid any it will be adjusted when they get the new code
    The rest of your tax code can be allocated against your other income. If your income is less than your tax allowance you won't pay any tax at all.

HMRC were very helpful when I phoned them.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    The rest of your tax code can be allocated against your other income. If your income is less than your tax allowance you won't pay any tax at all.

HMRC were very helpful when I phoned them.

In the OP's case the personal allowance will be given to the private pension minus an amount equal to the state pension so that any tax due can be collected. This is because the state pension is taxable but paid gross.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure