PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

'No cost' Christmas Presents

:xmastree::xmastree:

The Old Style prep thread - and what I'm about to do today - have given me the idea for this thread.

Last year, for Christmas, I gave one of my friends a present with a difference. I gave her 4 vouchers to exchange for an 'experience'.

It involved me going to hers to clean her bathroom! She has a bath, shower cubicle, loo and basin. To make it easier for me I said I would take all the equipment (cloths, mop, bucket) with me. Cost me (virtually) nothing and she has had the pleasure of coming home to a spotless bathroom!

Now I know a lot of people put together some stunning hampers through careful shopping:cool: and others do HM food gifts; jams, preserves and so forth - and for some of you these too are low-cost gifts.

I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas?

Anyway - she's cashing in her last voucher today!
Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
"I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
:heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear

Comments

• Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Ooh I'd love someone to clean my bathroom (although possibly I might not want anyone to see how dirty it gets!).
    I was thinking of giving DH's grandparents vouchers for taking them out for the day to suitable places (grandpa is very restricted mobility wise) but then realised they wouldn't let us pay for anything. So while it would be a free present for us it wouldn't for them.
  • kittycat204
    kittycat204 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    I've always thought it would be nice for people to teach others things. I would love to know how to use a sewing machine for example. I never pin somebody down to show me, if it was their present to me I'm sure it would be easier.

There are cooking techniques too. I could teach pasta making, cakes, stews etc but struggle making good bread.
    Opinion on everything, knowledge of nothing.
  • SueMaggie
    SueMaggie Posts: 2,006 Forumite
    My friend gave me a voucher for 12 months of manicures last Christmas - she always does her own nails beautifully and I can never be bothered to do my own, so she comes round once a month with all her polishes etc and does my nails for me. A great present!

If you're a good cook you could do a "cake a month" voucher or if you grow veg could do someone a veg box (like the posh expensive ones) every so often.
  • Nan used to treeat her GranbKids all the same. They got mince pies, Red Leicester chjeese and love.

A Diary and Pen as well!
    I hvae nt snept th lst fw mntes writg ths post fr yu t cme alng hre nd agre wth m!

Cheers! :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    I have been keeping all my free samples (from Magic freebies et al) all year. We made hampers for our godchildren last year and they loved them, so am doing the same this year. I get little bits from Poundland or Approved foods too. Also intend to make HM sweets and biscuits to put in.
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• That's a fab idea - hopefully someone will give me an ironing voucher!

Not quite the same thing but I took the plunge yesterday and broached the subject of not buying Christmas gifts for all our friends' kids this year. So far theyve all replied very positively and I think they are all pleased someone got round to suggesting it, as we are all in the same boat!
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Not quite the same thing but I took the plunge yesterday and broached the subject of not buying Christmas gifts for all our friends' kids this year. So far theyve all replied very positively and I think they are all pleased someone got round to suggesting it, as we are all in the same boat!

This is, I think, one of the things we work ourselves up over - yet the relief, when we have managed to 'cut down'!
    Well done you.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Jennie_2
    Jennie_2 Posts: 2,122 Forumite
    Here is a cheap, low cost idea for a Christmas present:

Take an empty, wide, short tin (like a tuna tin). Take off the label and wash out the can. Take a pack of clothes pegs (wooden) and peg them all around the tin. Add a tea light in a little glass and…. Voila you have a lovely candle display. My 13 year old daughter has just made a couple and she decorated the pegs with glitter, stick on rhinestones and paint. They look really fabulous!

524461_413785711992010_1744062695_n.jpg&w=403&h=403&ei=s75AUMifIcrZtAaFwoGgCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=175&vpy=4&dur=205&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=98&ty=105&sig=105777312942137039301&page=1&tbnh=135&tbnw=135&start=0&ndsp=40&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:72
    :dance:Sometimes I sing and dance around the house in my underwear. Doesn't make me Madonna. Never will. :dance:
  • Lozzy88
    Lozzy88 Posts: 780 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    When i was 17 i was poor and have more neices and nephews then i can count on two hands.

I offered to babysit all my brothers and sisters children for the night till tea time then next day.

They all went out together for a christmas meal (at 17 i was way to cool to go for a meal lol)

I entertained the kids for 24 hours, they loved the sleep over with all of them together as it never happens, and the next day we just made snow men in the garden so it was super cheap for me and they all enjoyed it.
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 August 2012 at 4:01PM
    We regularly do jams/preserves/juice/cider with foraged fruit, (we live in a town, still plenty to be found if you look carefully) packed in recycled jars/bottles. They are really cheap to make and go well in a hamper.

This last Christmas we were visiting a part of the family we don't see often so don't know very well. We bought little pressies for the kids as there were only a few of them, then made up a nice big hamper of home made goodies (various types of beer, cider, jams etc) for the adults to share out amongst themselves. It went down well, I think.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport