it's all about to hit the fan...

Options
Oh boy.I'm in a pickle! It is payday today & I am already over £400 overdrawn...on an overdraft limit of £50. I have no money for bills or food & Wonga want £800, bless them (hey, I've spent their money so guess I don't blame them). My rent is due tomorrow too. I think I'll have a little cry now, excuse me a minute...

Ok, enough of that. I've got myself into this so I need to fix it, but how? I need to call people today, First Direct, bill issuers etc, seriously not looking forward to that! What have I been thinking? I took this house on having worked out that I could afford it with a lodger, which are very easy to come by around here. Then my daughter tells me she wants to move up with me (she's 21 & lived with her dad). How can you say no to your daughter? Trouble is, she had her notice to give in & then work out. Her bf got a part time job here & moved in first. This meant I was paying for him, despite his small donations of food & money (£40!). He has now been paid but only enough to cover his travel & food, still no money for me. She is now here & looking for work. They are lovely kids, don't get me wrong, they will work hard & give when they can, I JUST NEED IT NOW!

I have been an idiot in not declaring how bad it is to them. I let slip that I cannot pay a couple of bills & she looked devastated, I do not want to see that look again but I know you are going to tell me to tell her.

On the plus side it seems I have a PPI claim I can follow up on my Barclaycard. If only this was immediate.

No idea what to do now. My rent is £800 let alone the rest of the bills & food. !!!!!!! (excuse my old english)

Comments

• Standingtall
    Options
    Hi Artytart. Firstly you need to prioritise your debts - your rent is more important than your creditors.

Secondly, you have to tell the kids as they need this roof overe their heads so if they can contribute more they arer going to have to do so - you can make it up to them at a later date.

Are you overdrawn before or after your monthly pay has gone in?

Immediate action - DO NOT LET WONGA GET THE RENT MONEY
    LBM August 2011. DFD somewhere post [STRIKE]2025[/STRIKE]2022 :eek:
    Total debts October 2011 circa GBP 17,700 September 2018 GBP 0 DMP with Payplan
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger:T:D:D:D
  • Happytogetdebtfree
    Options
    Big hugs firstly sit down grab a cup of tea, who do you owe who can you phOne to delay payment? It's time you sat down and was honest with your daughter and her bf, devestated look on face or not, you are keeping afloat 3 people on one wage, is there anyOne you can borrow off in the short term ? I'm sure everything will work out somehow, can you post a soa x
    I AM A MONEY MAGNET, THEY ARE MAKING MORE MONEY FOR ME AS WE SPEAK:pMIKES MOB, DFW NERD 1071, DFW LHS 132!MIRACLES HAPPEN I'VE SEEN IT WITH MY OWN EYES. LBM 08£77240.69 Current outstanding total £36083.01 Paid so far = £41157.68
  • artytart
    artytart Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    thank you standingtall & happytogetdebtfree. I am overdrawn after the wages have gone in! I need to ring First Direct asap. putting it off as they have never been very warming previously when I tried to get my overdraft enhanced. I feel so sick. I have taken myself back to bed for a little cry, which is totally unlike me, So cross that I've let myself get to this. I will go off & do a SOA thingy. Suspect I'll be on here loads in order to try & keep sane via you wonderful people!
  • Longships
    Longships Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would call CCCS (Consumer Credit Counselling Service) now - free helpline number 0800 138 1111 and yes of course you must have a conversation with your daughter.
    Thank-you to everyone who posts comps :beer:
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Options
    I would start by doing an SOA (see makesenseofcards) to try and work out what your normal outgoings sould be. This will give you an idea of how much you will need off your daughter etc. It should also allow you to see which bills need prioritising.
    You need to list the priority bills, along with amounts and dates and details of any money coming in to the house and people may be able to assist.
    Rent is going to be pretty high up the list.
    Food - you will probably have to manage on what you've got in the cupboard/borrow off friends and family (food not money I think).
    Council tax?
    Electric/gas?
    Insurances?
    Money needed to get to work?

Best of Luck
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • Aryndeneth
    Options
    It might be difficult for your daughter but, in the long run, you might be doing her a favour. If she realises how easy it is to end up in a difficult situation, she might avoid getting into difficulties herself. Also, upsetting or not, she might want to know. I know I was very upset to find my own mother had been coping through a hard time alone because she didn't want to worry people.
  • sunshineangel
    Options
    could you get food parcels from church or salvation army or some such group...may be something to look at. sell anything you can find laying around you dont need. like everyone else says ur rent is important but these ideas will hopoefully help too.. good luck x
  • downsizer3
    downsizer3 Posts: 683 Forumite
    Options
    I can only echo previous posts but a call to CCCS and putting up your SOA are the first steps you can take today.
    There are people on here who, for all sorts of reasons have got into a mess financially - don't panic too much.
    Its only money at the end of the day and thee will be a way forward.
    May 2018 - £159k + £3.5K CC - let the countdown begin! :)
    March 2019 - CC gone and bye bye M2 on 31st! £140k to go.:j
  • artytart
    artytart Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    you've all been wonderful, thank you. I've been watching the amazing people in the paralympics & seeing their huge acts of bravery when faced with appalling odds. Boy does it put everything in perspective, this is just money after all. Yes, I still feel sick & have no idea how I'm getting out but I will get out. I will stay on here & let everyone know how I'm doing but mainly I'll stick around because of you lot, you make me feel a whole lot less frightened & even a bit fired up to kick butt (mainly mine)...thanks guys xxx
  • artytart
    Options
    Ok, an update. Wonga cleaned me out. I should have got in touch with them as soon as I realised I could not pay but I hid for a couple of days like an idiot. They did the removing money in bits & pieces from my account & managed over £600 which means I cannot pay my rent. Dd has paid £400 (£250 of which got suck up into unauthorized overdraft payment), thinking this was rent for the 2 of them for a month. We had a brief chat about my needing more & that I was in debt (didn't tell her how much). She is upset & scared she has no job, but then so am I!

So, I need to find £700 towards rent that was due on the 1st. Me? Scared? Waking up at night? hell yeah
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure