Ideas for 60th birthday celebration

ailey
ailey Posts: 3,184
Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
I'm looking for ideas on how to celebrate my 60th birthday towards the end of this year. I wouldn't like to have a party as we're not really party people. I'm not to keen on dancing, unfortunately, but enjoy watching other people dancing. When at a recent wedding, I was up a few times but don't feel too comfortable. So, hence, I've ruled this out.

I was thinking that it might be nice to have a holiday for a week to somewhere warm with our 2 adults sons (as a wee treat for them as they can't afford holidays) and thought possibly Tenerife. I haven't flown for 3 years since my husband took unwell but he's fine for flying now. I hate flying but I've always done it to allow us to get places so I would manage it okay I'm sure. One of our sons doesn't like flying (although we always took them abroad as children and teenagers and then he went off the idea) so might not be able to come on holiday. He's gone on extremely long bus journeys the length of the UK from Scotland, channel tunnel, then through various countries to get to his destination rather than fly. I'm waiting for a reply to my email to see what he thinks about it.

If the 4 of us can't go abroad, I'd then be looking at something extra special for the 4 of us to do in the UK. Not every day I turn 60 lol!! Does anyone have any suggestions? Cheers.
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."

Comments

• Zazie
    Zazie Posts: 335 Forumite
    We took my father-in-law to London for his birthday. Travelled first class by train (free snacks and drinks!) and stayed 2 nights. The highlight for us was a concert at the Royal Albert Hall, but there are loads of shows on in the West End. And there are plenty of sights to suit all tastes during the day. You can book these short breaks from companies like SuperBreak, or book the different elements yourself. If you can book the train 10 - 12 weeks before travel via the East Coast website, you can get a really good deal.

Sounds like this might be a more relaxed trip than trying to get reluctant flyers up in the air!

Enjoy you birthday whatever you do. I got my free bus pass earlier this year, though I've made more use of the Senior Rail pass (which you have to buy).
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    ailey wrote: »
    I'm not to keen on dancing, unfortunately, but enjoy watching other people dancing

Then why not treat yourself to a ticket for the Dreamboys who are coming to Glasgow this year. That should make your 60th birthday one to remember.

http://www.dreamboystour.co.uk/
  • ailey
    ailey Posts: 3,184
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks Zazie - That sounds a nice idea if one of our sons won't fly. I think he's still deciding on it as he's not replied to my email yet. I'll need to phone him tonight to see what he thinks.

Like yourself, I'll probably make more use of the Senior Railcard than the bus pass as I prefer to travel by train. My husband has his since April and the 4 trips we've been on so far, the savings have now paid the £28 it cost him and he's got the use of it until beginning of April next year, although we might only fit in a trip to Edinburgh now for his birthday in October and then hibernate for the winter lol! (except my November birthday treat of course!). If we head to Glasgow on the train, it's cheaper to use the Scottish wide bus pass as he gets half fare with that compared to one third of with his Senior railcard because we're travelling within Strathclyde. I don't know where you are but I hope you're also aware of that within your region as I would imagine it's the same within each region.

Thank you for the good birthday wishes and I'll make sure I do enjoy it. Not every day we turn 60 after all lol! :)

And Scotsbob - thanks for the suggestion. Good fun when on a girl's night out but I don't think my 3 fellas would appreciate that haha! Well I hope not!! :rotfl:
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure