No7 reveals its 'secret' - can't say I'm 'blown away'

Options
sixtiesgal_2
sixtiesgal_2 Posts: 280 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 29 August 2012 at 11:50PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Well after all the waiting and anticipation, the No7 secret is out if anyone has been into Boots yet and seen it. Its a foundation matching device, plus they have repackaged most of their stuff. All the foundations are still named the same but in different packing and the Essentially Natural foundation in particular has come out in quite a wide range of shades. The tinted moisturiser and BB creams are the same. The liquid eyeliners have more colours and they do a black/brown now which is good. I was hoping they may do a gel eyeliner or at least a twist up pencil but no gels and the pencils are still the same - need sharpening.

One thing I am impressed with is that the Essentially Natural foundation has come down in price from about £13.00 to £9.00 and surprisingly enough its the same quantity and they haven't cut down on that. The other foundations and tinted moisturisers and BB creams seem to be the same price. Funny that as I'd have thought they would make the tinted moisturiser cheaper than the foundations as it was before.

As for the colour matching service, I'm not impressed really. The assistant did a match on me with the Essentially Natural foundation which I usually have in beige, the colour has always suited me and has been matched to me before. Now, however, this new device has matched me to the palest colour and makes me look like casper! So whatever it matches me I shall still go with the beige colour if I stick with No7.

So the prices haven't been hiked up like I thought they would. I am still unsure though, can't say its 'blown me away' but some things about it are good. Still don't know if this appeals enough to drag me away from Clinique.

Comments

• Gillyx
    Gillyx Posts: 6,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My MIL bought a foundation today. £16.50 :eek: for what is essentially a chemist brand, I couldn't believe it.

My MAC foundation is £19.50. Was so busy though so obviously making money from it.
    The frontier is never somewhere else. And no stockades can keep the midnight out.
  • sixtiesgal_2
    Options
    What is the foundation at £16.50, is it No7, don't think I've seen one on their counter for as much as that.
  • Gillyx
    Gillyx Posts: 6,847 Forumite
    Options
    Yep No7. Erm Lift, Luminate? something along those lines. Wasn't paying attention, was far too busy being entertained by the ladies at the counter who looked like they'd been tangoed.
    The frontier is never somewhere else. And no stockades can keep the midnight out.
  • sixtiesgal_2
    Options
    Well I take it back about the colour matching device. Today I put the foundation all over my face (the assistant gave me a sample) and I still thought it looked too pale but my friend who I met at lunchtime said my skin looks good and asked me what foundation I had got on and she said it just matches my skin tone and looks natural so there must be something said for having a colour match after all.
  • claire16c
    claire16c Posts: 7,074 Forumite
    Options
    sixtiesgal wrote: »
    Well I take it back about the colour matching device. Today I put the foundation all over my face (the assistant gave me a sample) and I still thought it looked too pale but my friend who I met at lunchtime said my skin looks good and asked me what foundation I had got on and she said it just matches my skin tone and looks natural so there must be something said for having a colour match after all.

Makes me almost scared to do it incase it means the one I wear now actually looks awful to others :rotfl:
  • sixtiesgal_2
    Options
    claire16c wrote: »
    Makes me almost scared to do it incase it means the one I wear now actually looks awful to others :rotfl:

Thats a fair point. Since writing this post I am rethinking again and realise I do like the shade I normally wear. I was telling someone at work about this service (she uses No7 aswell) and she said that, no matter what the advisers say, she likes a foundation with a bit of colour, it doesn't mean you have to look tangoed, just a hint of colour as thats what I like. Or I could just stick with the tinted moisturiser and then the colour match doesn't seem to matter.
  • Hughjass
    Hughjass Posts: 387 Forumite
    Options
    sixtiesgal wrote: »
    Thats a fair point. Since writing this post I am rethinking again and realise I do like the shade I normally wear. I was telling someone at work about this service (she uses No7 aswell) and she said that, no matter what the advisers say, she likes a foundation with a bit of colour, it doesn't mean you have to look tangoed, just a hint of colour as thats what I like. Or I could just stick with the tinted moisturiser and then the colour match doesn't seem to matter.

I agree with your friend, I have very pink undertones and like a more yellow based foundation to even things out, the No 7 advisor in my area is one of the most orange haggered looking people I have ever seen :rotfl:.
    All power is from within and therefore under our control
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport